BYYB Forums

Full Version: Triad update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am inching ever closer to a launch. Unfortunately the weather and water are conspiring against me. I updated the website where I am documenting my maddness, the one called boat building.

http://www.gonzos.com/7155.html

Lots of new pictures so my apologies if you are on a slow connection.

Here are two teaser pictures to wet your appetites:

[Image: normal_IMG_0836.JPG]

[Image: normal_IMG_0844.JPG]

My wife thinks I should varnish the boat so it will look as you see it here. I have assured her the color version will be just as fetching but the bright look for wood is very appealing.

There are much larger versions of these pictures in our BYYB Photo Gallery. The ones on the website are only 640x480. I need to change the website to a fingernail alblum format. Currently it is a WSIWG.
I agree with your wife. I don't think I've ever seen a painted boat that looks that nice. I think you should paint the keel a nice off-white colour and leave the rest as-is with some bronze oarlocks.
I'm with Keith and your wife. I would tend to show it off as is for now. In time it will likely need painting, do it then and have the best of both.
Gentlemen. I agree with you and would certainly score points with my wife if I left it as is. The deck is almost as nice as the hull and currently sports the bright look also. Except there is a problem. This boat is the Amanda Marie and the litttle girl in the pictures is Amanda Marie. She wanted a pink and purple boat but has graciously agreed to a yellow, pink and light grey boat. We will always have the prepaint pictures to look at.

Thanks for your positive comments. They mean a lot to me coming from the members of this forum. So many of you have built a number of boats and this is my first.
Ah, suck it up and paint the boat pink and purple. If that's what it takes to ensure a happy crew, do it. She will never forget it. And later, we she is older and understands and appreciates the aesthetics of proper boat colors, she will let you repaint the boat to suit your tastes, and love you all the more for it.

Cheers,
Tom
Great looking boat.

Rob Kern

Being caught between the wife and daughter is never fun. Wanna sleep on the couch? Or would you rather be featured in future therapy sessions?

I tend to go with the daughters unless I'm risking some sort of midnight injury. Go with the pink and purple and you'll always have the memories and accompanying laughs.
Guys... GUYS!!! My daughter has agreed to and is embracing the yellow, pink, light grey color scheme. The pink and purple is no longer in her head. Lets keep it that way. (All it took was agreeing to let her help paint!) The wife has agreed with the yellow, pink and light grey also, provided my next boat is named the Roxanne II and is large enough to sport the Amanda Marie as a dinghy. I imagine that would have to be a 27' or bigger boat? Strange how she thinks a bigger boat would be safer. This small one is just the right size to keep us out of trouble. A large sailboat is a lot to handle in or out of the water.

My wife has a "honey do" list that is 3 pages long and has been on hold while I built the Amanda Marie that seems to have escaped her memory currently. It will occur to her and I will not be building any super yachts in the near future. Maybe, just maybe a 24 footer though Big Grin

Paul, if you are reading this could you possibly pop in one of your little boat diagrams? Like you did for the guy that was thinking of changing his PC into a tug. The one where we argued over your suggestion of lavender. The colors would be light/medium yellow on deck down to the rubrail, a pink rubrail and then very light grey for the hull below the rubrail. There is also a rubrail at the line where the deck and sides meet (not shown on my boat because it's not attached yet). It would be pink also. Only if you have nothing better to do and really want to. Please!!!!
As long as you all wear pink clothes while you are in the boat, I don't see anything wrong with that colour scheme. :lol:
It's all in how you and your daughter view the colour scheme. To her it's yellow, pink and grey. To you in can be amber,salmon, and battleship grey. :lol: :wink: If you use water soluble paint, it will disapear after a couple outing, you can blame it on the weather :wink: . All kiddin aside, if your daughter will help you on the build, and sail with you, you got it made. When they get a bit older, you and the boat might not be the apple of her eye anymore.

Greg
Pages: 1 2