BYYB Forums

Full Version: WANTED - Light beach cat plans.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

DavidGale

Hi,

I love my weekender. It's a great fishing boat. But I'm really loving my two beach cats and I would like to build one of my own.

I have a hobie 14, a 30 year old machine and it still goes great. Hulls are getting soft though and I don't think it has much more than a couple years left in it. I would like to build a replacement for this boat and use the existing parts as much as possible. This boat is a lot of fun. It's very fast and flying a hull on a 14 is a very thrilling experience. The hulls on this boat are kind of sinky though, you have to be aware of your weight distribution at all times or you can capsize the boat.

Since we can't afford the gasoline anymore, I just sold the camper and the truck to tow the camper and used the money to buy a hobie wave, brand new in the box. This boat is great but it's way slower than the old original hobie 14. It's got superb floatation letting us put 4 adults on the boat with no problem. We don't have to worry at all about our weight distribution on this boat due to the great flotation we put 4 adults on the downwind hull and it barely noticed. It has roto-molded plastic hulls.

I would like to build a boat that is a happy medium between the hobie wave and the original hobie 14. The end product should be light enough for two people to lift (Both my boats weigh just about 250lbs rigged). Floaty enough for two people to not worry about where they are sitting, fast in any wind, no more than 15 feet long, no jib or self tending jib for easy single handing. Should be able to use existing hobie parts (or at least the mast) because these parts are cheap on ebay and craigslist.

I would call the original hobie 14 a racing boat and the hobie wave a suntanning bed. I think if I had more sail area on the wave and slightly faster hulls then it might be what I'm looking for.

I'm actually going to build two boats so I can race one against the other. If the plans were to incorporate a design that allowed stacking the boats on top of eachother for transport, that would be a plus.

Thanks in advance. Email is best to contact me.