BYYB Forums

Full Version: Keel Repair
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, so I got her flipped over....not as bad as I thought, for the most part. Just some filling and some paint, 'cept for the aft portion where there will be some reshaping.

[Image: Boat_flipped.jpg]

A good look at the seperation issue - not as bad as I had feared.

[Image: Keel_seperation_1.jpg]

There is a bit of rot where the stem rides on the trailer stop....i will have to fix the trailer for this one.

[Image: Stem_rot.jpg]

The wood moved really weird here. The picture doesn't show it well, but the wood has shifted vertically almost an 1/8".

[Image: Keel_-_stern.jpg]

Overall, the bottom of the boat has faired well over the last three years. Better than I have :lol:
Clean out the fractures and fill it full full of epoxy and press on. Sooner or later everyone had keel and stem problems with these boats Brit.

aaron_stokes

what are you doing? the season is not over yet! you can't flip her over now! we got some sailing to do.

awrite, awrite. should we meet at antelope island and we sail the daydream to your home port?
I plan on being upright in two days, aaron....no worries.

The sanding is done, tonight, after school, I will do the epoxy'n....paint tomorrow afternoon. Flip back over Friday.

aaron_stokes

wheew! Big Grin Big Grin
Found a huge bubble running along the seam where you add plywood to continue the curve on the bottm. About 20" long. Luckily, I had my belt sander right there, and some extra fiberglass. I will have to keep an eye on this area. Hope it's not a symptom of last winter's water damage. The red line shows where the bubble was.

[Image: normal_Seam_Bubble.jpg]
I need to work on my chines. I have a leak somewhere. I'd like to turn it over but I'm thinking it would be very difficult to do by myself so I'm considering another plan of attack. I'm thinking of jacking it up one end at a time and putting the keel on jack stands and balancing it with 5 gallon buckets on each side. If I could get it high enough to clear the fenders of the trailer I think I could reglass the chines with no problem. I've got lots of time now, I was laid off my job so now I spend my time looking for work and working on my guitar. I'm not quite ready to retire, I'd like to wait 3 more years so I'm not quite sure what will shake out.

aaron_stokes

man! the whole fleet is going through occupational changes! recently it was phil and then it was darik. then adla, britt, me and now steve!

bill, does the sw fleet have enough founds to aquire a small harbor for a boat/hobo camp? i can't think of a more desirable bunch of neighbors. :lol: i know i for one am in need of more affordable living space. all i need is a place to put the boats. :lol:

i wish i were closer, steve. i would help flip her.
Thanks Aaron. I wish you were closer too. I'd have a lot more fun. I wouldn't mind living around our little group of sailor hobos either. Some of the finest people I've ever met. Don't worry too much about me, I'll get by somehow. I once asked a rich friend how to get rich. He told me to marry a girl with a steady job. Well, we're not rich but I do have a wife with a good steady job so I don't have too much to worry about. Big Grin

Darick_Anderson

Sorry to hear about your Job Steve, something will come along I'm sure. Big Grin
I think the hard times are nationwide these days Cry not just our fleet. Maybe this bail out plan will work and get things going again.

I too wish we were closer located :roll: I need to roll Nimbus and sand and repaint. Maybe in the spring.

Happy Halloween to you all!!!! :twisted:
Pages: 1 2