BYYB Forums

Full Version: Need advice on non-slip painting sequence
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everybody,

It has been some time. Anyway, I just painted the topside of my boat today (barrier coat primer). I am trying to figure out...do I now go ahead and tape off and paint with paint with sharkgrip and then do another final coat of paint on everything (with tape off) or do the opposite, put a coat of paint over the primer then tape off and do final paint with sharkgrip?
It depends on how sharp your textured paint is. If the textured paint will need an overcoat to "soften" it up, then tape off the deck and apply the texture first. If the texture is about how you like it, then paint the deck first, then tape off for your textured areas, which will applied last.

I always put down a few solid coats of untextured paint as a base, before I do anything. Primer isn't especially tough, has no UV nor moisture protection. A few top coats seals up the primer and makes a nice base for the texture. This also permits me to use different colors for the textured areas, as opposed to the waterways.

Next week I'll be doing the same thing, but I'll apply the texture over wet paint, rather then buying premixed stuff. The best texture I've found (and the same thing used in Shark Grip) is ground up polyurethane pellets. These sand down easily, are reasonable soft on your butt and can be sifted to sort out and insure only the texture size you want is in the paint. I also seem to get a more consistent texture coverage with this method.
Thanks,

That makes sense.