BYYB Forums

Full Version: One more Weekender is born
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

mikespeare

Well I got the boat wet for the first time today. It isn't really done yet but it was done enough to sail. We had a perfect day. I did not stay out long but it did not sink and was loads of fun.
Just to let you know what state the boat was in, here is the short list of things to do.

1.) Mount the jib line out further, or cut a new jib about 6 inches shorter at the foot.
2.) cut and install portals
3.) make that little box/seat in the cabin
4.) Remove temporary nylon wire ties and install real mast hoops.
5.) Cover hole in Transom.
6.) Paint rudder box
7.) round bowsprit

So as you can see I opted for sailing instead of working. I"m in Ohio, I've got all winter to mess with the boat but only a few more weeks of sailing!

I found that for me oar power was not the way to go. I built the oars myself and they worked, but I really think I need to add an electric engine to get the full enjoyment out of the boat. How many pounds of thrust should I be looking for?

I tried to use the forum here for only extremly important and puzzling issue. It really helped me when I was In a jam, Thanks to all.
Mike
Congrats Mike, and use the forum for just staying in touch, we all love to hear from other boaters on most anything.

That first sail is always great! Like you, I launched before being finished and no regrets. sailing season can be short and winter long enough to do the rest of the work.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Congrats Mike Glad to hear you got her in the water. Idea Talk to a couple of weekend builders before you cut the jib, you might want to use it as is. Bud :mrgreen:
Congrats!
Now that I have two trips under my belt, I can say with the authority that comes with experience, it just gets better Wink

I also have a pretty good list of things to finish on my boat and you will probably find, as I did, that the list only grows longer once you put her in the water.

That's what winter is for, right?

Steven.

aaron_stokes

most electric motors in the sw fleet are 35 lbs thrust and they work fine. mine is a 45 and i love it. it is handy for getting in close in the heat of battle. you see, most boats in our fleet are armed to the teeth with water cannons and such with an awsom range but i am usually unarmed and the pirates code does not take poor souls like me into account. i have been forced on more than one occasion to use my chum bucket for defence and like a shot gun, my range is short but up close it is verry affective. thank goodness for my 45! :twisted:
Shiver me timbers.

Me thinks that a motor-sailing pirate is … no pirate at all ! Confusedhock:

Unarmed?

Avast ye, landlubber. Ye be need’en a proper Man-o-war to feed the fish with them sons of biscuit eaters. Idea Scrape together some pieces of eight and get thee to a junk yard to hornswaggle them out of an old electric fuel pump from a Volkswagen. That, some hose, a proper mount on the gunwale, and ye be ready for battle. A 3/8 inch stream of water at 120 psi is something to reckon with.

Savvy?

:wink:
Well done Mike, my vacationer is 5 years old and is still not totally finished. It's fine to sail these boats and finish and modify as you go. Just get out and have fun sailing her. Big Grin

Greg
Congratulations! Some dreams you wake from and are glad they are over. The dream of a boat is one you wake to and smile.

Guy Capra

+1 Congratulations Mike,

Just think to download Picasa (http://picasa.google.com/) and to publish some photos albums and videos of your sailing, then send here the link !

Also valuable for all who are sailing with their own built Stevenson boats...

Tx for us, poor fellows but rich dreamers, waiting to begin to build !

best,
Guy.

Elusive II

Congratulations Mike,
Getting the boat wet is a GREAT feeling... my maiden voyage on my first Weekender was the Apostle Islands in Lake Superior. That was something I'll never forget!!!
When you are swarmed at the launch ramp my looky-loos, and they ask where you got it, always take a deep breath, puff out your chest and say "I Built it"! You've earned the right to be proud.
On Elusive II, I used a Cruise-n-carry... it did the job ok, I would think if your going electric, 35lbs should be fine if there is not much wind to fight against. I'd probably opt for a bit more power though, it's nice to have if you need it.
Larry C Smile
Pages: 1 2