BYYB Forums

Full Version: IRON PIPE AND STRAPS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

HowardAnthony

I am trying to build the boom for my Pocket Cruiser and am wondering where you get the

1"*1/8" and 1 1/8 *3/16 Galvanized Iron Strap
and the 3/4 inch Galv Iron Pipe.

What kind of store carries this type of stuff, or is there a substitute.
Hey Howard

Most farm supply or old fashion hardware stores sell galv bar stock and galv pipe.
You may find it at one of the big box home improvement super stores, I'd check the smaller store first.
Less hassle

Kayakarl
Our ACE Hardware store has a bin filled with different sized steel things. I don't know if your area has one or not.

Ray Frechette Jr

I assume this is for the gooseneck fitting?

I went to local Sheet Metal fabricator that makes all sorts of things out of metal and I had them shear some stainless steel stock for the boom cheek pieces and they cut down a small amount of stainless steel tubing for the swivel part for my Weekender.

I have been less than thrilled with the stock gooseneck to be honest. I generally need to check it every couple of sails and don't like the lack of downhaul adjustment.

Haven't been motivated enough to do anything about it as yet, but someday I will make jaws and a sadle for the boom similar to the gaff and eliminate the gooseneck.
Ray said:
Quote:Haven't been motivated enough to do anything about it as yet, but someday I will make jaws and a sadle for the boom similar to the gaff and eliminate the gooseneck.

Ray
I like the idea of a saddle and jaws for the boom. (Kind of keeping to the traditional look)
Do you know off hand of any pictures or drawings on the Web?

Kayakarl
I found the 90 degree galvanized corner brackets did the job for my gooseneck attachments. Canadian Tire, or Home hardware should have them. They also sometimes carry 3/4 galvanized pipe, I cut some small pieces from my pipe clamps.