BYYB Forums

Full Version: Lake Mead with my friend Richard - Photo Essay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It all started with a phone call. My friend Heidi called and mentioned that her son Richard wanted to sail with me. Well, how could I refuse! Morgaine had been upside down for months until the last couple of weeks. It took so much energy and time to get her ready for the Yuba trip; it seemed a waste not to sail again immediately! Richard showed up at 7 and we checked the boat for last minute issues, loaded a cooler with cola and goodies, and then hit the road. He was a fabulous help rigging the boat at the launch ramp. He listened as I told him what we were going do to do and why we were doing it. He helped raise the mast, tightened the stays, and folded the sail cover meticulously. It wasn't more than 1/2 hour before we were able to launch. Richard had never sailed before, in fact, the only boat he'd ever been on was a pontoon boat. He was in for a treat. The weekender is a fabulous boat and Richard was enamored with Morgaine just after we moved off the dock. He was so impressed with her "displacement," or so he kept saying.

There wasn't a lot of wind, but there was some. As soon as we were past the breakwater, we raised the sails:

[Image: Richard_sailing5.jpg]

The sky was mostly clear, with a few clouds scattered here and there. Richard was having a wonderful time!:

[Image: Richard_sailing19.jpg]

[Image: Sailing4.jpg]

We sailed as best we could, but the winds were light! After several hours, we decided to anchor in a cove and have lunch.

[Image: Richard_sailing13.jpg]

of course we had to sail over to the cove! Where we decided to go swimming.

[Image: Richard_swimming.jpg]

[Image: cove8.jpg]

Richard found a treasure on the shore. :roll: It was just a bottle on a rope. But, I wasn't going to ruin his day and tell him it was just a bottle on a rope.

[Image: Richard_treasure.jpg]

We had lunch:

[Image: Richard_sailing17.sized.jpg]

we explored a bit on shore:

[Image: Richard.sized.jpg]

I took pictures of Morgaine:

[Image: cove19.jpg]
[Image: cove5.jpg]

and then we went back to sailing. The wind was light. Eventually, we had to motor back in, but all in all, it was a very nice day.

[Image: Sailing3.jpg]

[Image: Richard_sailing3.jpg]

[Image: sail2.jpg]

[Image: Richard_sailing21.jpg]

[Image: Richard_sailing11.sized.jpg]

[Image: cove13.jpg]

And now, I am exhausted.
Looks like the boom extension and the loose fotted main works better. A fun time for sure.
Craig -

The mast extension also included straightening out the mast - it never had the right angle before. The boom extension was a great improvement. As you can notice from the sail in one of those shots...I was able to loosen the foot and make the most of the wind. I need to work on a jiffy reefing system. But yesterday that sure wasn't required. We were both leaning on the one side of the boat trying to catch what little wind was there.

a.

aaron_stokes

boy, that looks fun! you are going to sail right up to christmas eh? weather permitting, i wonder if i may invite myself to a christmas cruise? the water will be unreasonably hard up here by then. this is something to think about, i say. i got robbed out of my a to b cruise at yuba. the dang wind just did not cooperate when i was ready and able to make the trip. perhaps meed would be a better choice what, with all those coves.....

how many miles do you think you covered on this trip? looks like you made a little distance in spite of the wind.

David Metzker

Not only has Morgaine improved over time, but so has your photography, Adla! Quite beautiful pictures! I'm glad to see that the aquisition of your "clorox bottle" hasn't alienated your affections for Morgaine! She is a handsome ship indeed !!! (ok,,,enough exclamation points already)

What da hey,,,,,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!