BYYB Forums

Full Version: Reefing points
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, I just returned from a camping trip in my little boat. My partner is a little frightened of the boat so I bought lots of things to increase her comfort, like extra safety stuff including a sea anchor, which when I think about it might be a good idea in such a little boat in such a big lake. My boat is now permanently equipped with camping gear, an extra anchor, enough line to tie up king kong, floating cushions, extra life jackets, the sea anchor, flares, flashlights, whistles, bailing buckets and sponges, extra bungee cords, charts, compass, etc, etc.

We had a pretty good time, but on the way out yesterday it was pretty windy and there were big waves. I found this exciting, and the boat handled well, but my wife did not. She would have preferred a more sedate trip to the camping spot. I wound up spilling a lot of wind to slow the boat down, which works sometimes but makes for a noisy trip, and definitely I could have run before the wind more comfortably if my sails had come with reefing points. I noticed some big boats on the lake today with their sails shortened, and today was way less windy than yesterday. It made me feel a bit reckless speeding around the bay with both sails pulling full tilt with a terrified wife hiding in the cabin, when big keelboats were out flying only their reefed mains.

Does anyone have an idea how I can put some reefing points in my Rolly Tasker mainsail, like where should they go and what kind of sewing skills do you need to do this? I don't want to ruin the sails by poking holes in them until I know what I am doing.
Reef points in the main are fairly simple. Reinforce the luff and leach of the sail (front and back) just like you have the corners of the sail reinforced and put grommets in. Then, put on self-adhesive patches in a curved line (to give the sail some shape) and put grommets through these. When reefing, the ropes through the grommets at the luff and leech will take the strain of reefing and the ones more in the middle of the sail are just there to tidy up the excess sail and shouldn't be tied up tight.

Here is a picture of my boat, Little Gem, showing the reefing grommets. I have to admit to not making this sail but the picture just shows the reinforced grommets so well.

[Image: DSCN2766-1.jpg]

Here is a picture of my pocket cruiser and you can just discern the two reef points on the luff. I was able to reef the bottom 6' of sail allowing me to sail in very heavy winds. I don't have the good picture on this computer where I am using both reefs on a blustery day. Will have to find it.

[Image: suitsus2.jpg]
Reef points make a big difference in comfort, and the boat will go as fast as full sail without the strain on gear and crew. My first reef takes about 25% out of the sail. If you feel you can do this yourself, I'll be glad to help out. If not, you can send your sail to a sail maker and they will do it for you.
Well, I would be willing to try it myself, except I don't know how to sew. Greg knows how to sew. Maybe we could all put our heads together. I don't know how to get my mitts on the cloth to make the doublers out of, but I suppose that can be ordered, and if you and I can figure out where to put them, we could talk Greg into sewing them for me. You should see the good job he did sewing the covers for his boat mattresses.

Thanks for the pictures, Scott. Those are nice boats you have there. I wonder why my factory-made sails don't already have reefing points.
I'd probably be willing to try it Keith. I'm not sure if the sewing machine could handle the sail cloth. I have a heavy fabric needle. If we could get some sail cloth from a sail maker ( think there are some on the west coast in BC ), I could test it on our machine, and practice a bit before tackling the real thing. I don't want to wreck your sail.

Wish I had been able to get things together on Tuesday evening to sail with you. I didn't get home from work until 6:30. By the time I got the sailing gear together it was well after 8. Coupled with the fact that Keenan had a sinus cold, and probably didn't need the wind and cool air. Sounds like you had an exciting time.

Greg
I think reef points are a good idea. I sewed two sets in my sails:

[Image: IMGP1218_001.jpg]

I just carefully cut the triangle patches out of dacron the same weave pattern as the sails and sewed them on...and then put the grommets in with a grommet tool I bought from duckworks.

[Image: IMGP1204_001.jpg]

I reef early all the time. It beats reefing to late. The boat sails well reefed and gives you more control.

Here is a better view. Remember, I have a loose footed main and so that is why the reef points look different than the scooped foot.

[Image: IMGP1221_001.jpg]

a.
Good job on those reef points. Like you, I reef early as it is so easy to do and saves wear and tear. The old saying is when you first think "should I reef", it's time, don't wait. I often reef if I have a long downwind run for home and the wind is borderline strong, even if I was full sail upwind as you can't dump gusts from the sail easily downwind.

Elusive II

Reef points are a must, I had two sets on Elusive II...that being said, my wife was NEVER comfortable. Me thinks the fairer sex has a problem when what they are standing on leans!!! I too tried to make her "comfortable".
Step 1. sell small boat and purchase larger boat (Chrysler 26) " I promise I'll be more at ease in a larger boat". On our maiden voyage in that boat I had to douse the jib to stop the boat from leaning. Sailed it 6 times.
Step 2. Sell bigger boat and buy even bigger boat. (Morgan OutIsland 30) owned her for two years, she sailed with me twice... "It leans too much".
Step 3. Sell bigger boat to purchase WIDER boat. Sold the Morgan and started looking to purchase a Gemimi Catamaran... while looking at one she spies a 35' Choy Lee trawler... "Oh please!!!! I know I'll be comfortable it that!!!"
You don't want to know step 4.

Anyway, good luck with making the first mate comfortable, I've heard it can be done!
Now on to building my 2nd Weekender!

Larry C
Larry good to see you!
You are going to build another weekender, aye mate thats great.
I have the same trouble me first mate is afraid of the water and boats i have a job for us but i will gladly by a 30 footer to placate her lol.

Brian.

Konrad

Scott.. That first photo you posted just became my wallpaper. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2