BYYB Forums

Full Version: Isla's Sea Trials
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the water at last!

After over three years of sporadic building, Isla touched the water yesterday afternoon. What an amazing thing to experience. Although, I must say, it's a bit like attending your own wedding. You are so stressed about every little detail, that I forgot to enjoy actually floating away from the dock. This was mainly due to the fact that the dock was so crowded and this was also the debut for my 1975 Seagull Forty Plus motor. Luckily all went well and we putted out to the middle of the lake and raised the sails one at a time just as Paul suggested. And then . . . we waited . . . and waited.

You see, I have only ever sailed a couple of times in a dinghy that I built and had never really experienced the silly feeling of sitting on a sailboat in the middle of a lake surrounded by a million power boats and jetskis with no wind.

So we did what any proper sailor would do. We cracked open a couple of beers and enjoyed the sun. Obviously we pleased the sailing gods because no sooner had we finished our beers that the wind picked up and we flew across the lake. That moment I will never forget.

From that point, I did several trips to and from the shore to pick up different loads of kids with varying amounts of wind. Each time feeling more and more comfortable with sailing my new boat.

So thank you to everyone on this forum for all of your help and insight. I now will look forward to posting the the "Sailing Stories" folder!!

Steven Goodman
S/V Isla

Here are a few pictures of the day:

[Image: IMG_5084.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5091.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5101.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5113.jpg]
Beautiful Boat,

Beautiful Lake,

Beautiful Kids....

Beautiful times! Congratulations!!!
Well done Steve! I know that feeling and that smile. Doesn't she sail well?
Now, put her back on the trailer and head to great Slave Lake so we can sail together Smile

John Crow

Great Looking boat Steven!!! Congrats!!!
Way to go Steven. So how did it feel? Judging by the faces of your crew, things worked out quite well. Welcome to the elite group of boat builders. Not many actually succeed. Lots of dreamers, desire a project such as yours. Many even buy plans, but the vast majority, never complete a boat (about 80% of plans sold, never get built). I've seen dozens of unfinished boats over the years. I even bought one once and finished it off. You are one of a very small percentage (a fraction of a single percent) that have dreamed, toiled and now are enjoying the results. Congratulations and welcome the our little world. Feels good doesn't it . . .
It's great that all the work amounts to an event like this. Fine looking vessel, skipper, and crew. Enjoy your new boat as much as you can.

Greg
Congrats Steve! She is very pretty! Love the toerail!

capnpablo
Congratulations, and may you and your family enjoy such a fine vessel.

8) and she does look sharp.
Congratulations Steven, what a fine looking Yacht and a a fine crew as well, I look forwardto reading of yor adventures in the sailing stories section.
Fairwinds mate.
Brian.