BYYB Forums

Full Version: rudder box in progress!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

John Crow

I got started on the rudder box this last week. I have a small amount of sanding left on the first piece then I will Take a flush cut router bit to perfectly match it on the next piece. wetted it out to show the ribbons and color.

[Image: OGBLKWLNT003.jpg]

[Image: OGBLKWLNT007.jpg][/img]
Looks nice. I'd ask where you got the plywood with that much character but know it’s not ply Smile. I made mine out of plywood but it is hydrotech ply so it has a nice grain to it. I am going to varnish it instead of painting it. My rudder, rudder box, tiller and dagger board are all being done bright. The screws in the rudder box are visible but I took pains to get them evenly spaced so they don't look to bad. I suppose I could have just used clamps and depended on the glue to hold but have gotten into the habit of glue and screw so didn't even think of that until sanding it clean to get it ready for varnish. The rudder will be oiled instead of varnished so yearly maintenance (or sooner if bad luck) should be a bit easier.

I remember your earlier post of the rudder. I was amazed at how smooth it is and how much grain and character the wood you used had. The first piece I made, for my little boat, was the rudder followed by the dagger board. I smile when I look at them over a year later and realize the first pieces I made won't go into the boat until very near the end. Somehow they seemed like the best place to stop procrastinating and start though.

Good work and good luck! May your glue bonds never fail and your bent boards never crack.