BYYB Forums

Full Version: Questions before my launch this weekend
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yes, the day is finally close.
I plan to launch this weekend. I pick up the trailer on Friday morning, modify it on Saturday, and launch on Sunday afternoon.

So being a novice sailor, I have some questions about this.

Mainly, what the heck do I do with all of the lines and stays when I am traveling to the ramp.
I am torn between leaving as much as possible rigged so my set up time at the ramp is short and having all that gack bouncing around back there while I am driving.

My plan is to wrap a "sail bag" of sorts around the entire rig to make it more aerodynamic. This way I can leave the mainsail on and all the lines run. I will stow the jib in the forward hatch. Do people normally detach the side stays or leave them attached but taut?

The building part was fun, but this first time out on the water thing is down right terrifying. In a good way.

Thanks,
Steven Goodman
S/V Isla
If your trip to the local ramp is within a few miles, at less then highway speed, then you can just tie things up with some lines, bungee, etc. and protect against chafe as best as you can.

On the other hand, if you get over say 45 MPH and/or will need to drive over 10 miles, then you should "dog" the rig down good, leaving little to flap, chafe or tear off in the wind stream.

When at the ramp, rig her up complete, sails bent on, stays and shrouds tightened, the works. Back her into the wet stuff but leave her on the trailer. Climb aboard and check for leaks and other stuff you likely forgot to do while in the rush and excitement of the first splashing.

When I launch a new boat, I usually pick a very light air morning, in the middle of the week. This leaves the ramp vacant as you figure out how to set things up and if no one is around, then you will not be embarrassed if a major issue starts up the Chinese fire drill, to get it out of the water again. I intentionally don't bring the owner or special guests. Added pressure to get things done right with them around isn't necessary nor wise. You're going to make mistakes, which are best enjoyed with building and sailing buddies, not the in-laws in their Sunday go to meeting garb.

I consider the first splashing a test, not the official "launching". I check the waterline, rigging, through hulls, engine, sails, steering, etc. Then maybe a short cruise under power only, to see if things want to fall off the boat. If all goes well, I'll motor to get some "sea room" and hoist a single sail. This is important, as many times you'll get a sail hung up, partly hoisted and you have to douse, undo the snafu and rehoist, all the while praying you don't drift into a shoal, rocks, docks or other boats. Have plenty of screw up room, because this is your first time with the lady and she deserves some "special time" with her builder and not be subjected to the indignity of paint chips, because you drifted into a dock trying to untangle the halyards during the first hoist.

With some luck, you'll get a sail up (start with the main) and the boat will move (amazing stuff). Check the sail for places it rubs against the rigging. Check the rigging for places it rubs the boat, etc. Hell, man, you sailing now, hoist the jib. Do the same thing with the jib, looking for trouble. Enjoy your test session and prepare for a spectacular, official launching day. Never launch on a Friday (bad luck), Saturday seems the day I often use. Play the national anthem as she floats free, in full view of your friends an family. Remember to breath regularly and enjoy, you're a rare breed in these modern times.

If your experience level is such that you may have difficulty in the first few sails. Take along a seasoned sailor. The offer of free beer has always worked for my sailing buddies, but you know your friends. Go slow, in easy winds and build confidence in little steps. You can 'round the horn next summer.

Congratulations, you're in for one of the most memorable events of your life. Have people who like you, take pictures of you (and the boat, but mostly you). Facial expressions such as the ones you'll wear that day, don't come often in life and your friends and family need pictures so they can make fun of you later.
Thanks Paul. Just the perfect mix of good information and encouragement to calm my nerves a little.
Funny thing is, I'm not that worried about being on the water. It's the getting into and out of the water that is making me toss and turn at night.

I'll post pics of the "sea trials" next week.

Thanks from someone who did a lot more reading than posting.

Steven.
If you're not sure on your feet or no one has ever suggested you're "graceful" then climb into the boat from a seated position from the dock. Sit down on the dock, use your feet to pull the boat over and slither into the cockpit, with every effort at getting to the boat's centerline quickly. Stay low and grab a handful of coming. Avoid the lubberly thing of latching a paw onto the boom. The boom is a sailor's friend, but I've seen it sweep many a novice right into the drink. If you grab the boom (unaware of what comes next), it'll move, usually violently and your death grip on this hand hold will swing right out over the water, where you'll eventually loose your grip and fall in. It's actually a pretty funny thing to see happen, so lets hope your friends have video running at the time.

Getting out of the boat is the same deal, in reverse. Stay low, move deliberately to the side deck and up to the dock. Find hand holds (ones that don't move under your weight) before you go and plan your foot falls. Crawling out on your belly isn't especially stylish, but is less likely to make you uneasy or an unplanned swim.

You'll gain confidence with each boarding and before long, you'll be showing folks how to get off and on your little yacht.

Weekender is a "lively" little gem. She'll move with every step aboard her. You'll get use to this, and it's one of the reasons she does so well in light winds. All small boats are like this. In reality you don't weigh much less then your whole boat, so naturally she's going to dance around a little, as you come aboard , disembark or move about the cockpit and cabin. It's much like riding a horse. When you first mount and ride a steed, you're bouncing all over the place, uncomfortable and the horse doesn't like it much either. After a while you learn to move with the horse, which gets you in rhythm and both you and steed are much happier. You'll learn how your boat wants you to act and it'll respond in kind.
Hi Steven, Paul us right, what an experience! I can only add to his good ideas, that the foredeck is very tender to be on or get to from the cockpit. If there are two of you, one can stay on the opposite side of the boat in the cockpit while the other goes forward, then all is stable and well.

Good luck and have a blast.
After a month of sailing the boat, you'll be an old hack. You may experience a dunking or two while you learn, but an easy solution is to bring a set of dry socks with you, just in case.

You'll look back and laugh at the anxiety you currently have. In another month, you'll be stalking other sails that may appear on the horizon, like a shark after a meal.

Sailing is quite intuitive. Your body will tell you to lean back against the heeling boat, to resist the tug of the helm as a puff increases pressure on the sails momentarily. These are all natural things and your body will inform you. Of course the finer points of sail handling, good boat trim and how to maximize speed in a given set of conditions, will come with practice.

Pay attention to your body and practice skills on the water, like reefing, tacking, jibing, hoisting and lowering sails, MOB drills, sailing a straight course, getting the sails drawing nice and clean, landing or leaving a beach or wharf, anchoring, etc. There's plenty to keep you busy and you'll develop your own methods and techniques in no time. There's no "best" way, though some are more efficient than others. You get to make it up as you go along, which is a pretty cool thing.