BYYB Forums

Full Version: 1st (hopfully annual) True North Fleet Messabout
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We are having a Messabout on Great Slave Lake, North West Territories Canada. Monday 4 August (our long weekend) plan on having 3 of our 4 Stevenson design boats in attendance. A great day of sailing is anticipated. Followed by a tasty BBQ, and swapping nautical yarns/ lies.

Greg
What a way to get the fleet going! I hope you all have a great time and remember to take lots of pictures, we'll need them again this year if we do another calendar.

Keith
Greg, Please document the event with many photos and post them on the board!! Thanks

Craig
Greg I concur on the photos, Y'all have a great time, this is what it is all about!

Brian.
Well the 1st annual True North Fleet messabout is now in the history books. I figured we best talk about before the SW Fleet has their Yuba event. I must first qualify this by saying due to work commitments (stuck in eastern part of Canadian arctic because of poor flying weather) I was unable to attend the sailing part. I did make it home for the tail end of the BBQ Yummm. My son took Ginny Rae solo on the event, he watched and learned well (true be told, his skills probably top mine now). Regrettable Keith Shergold with his Weekender Made Merry were unable to partake in the event, due to his job flying in northern arctic ( work has a way of messing up our sailing plans sometimes, however it is necessary to pay the bills, and finance our hobby).

There were 3 boats, Weekenders Sans Souci owned by Ryerson and Annie Clark, Polar Dip owned by Denis and Min Goyette, and Vacationer Ginny Rae owned by Greg and Mary Ann Miller, sailed by my son Keenan. There's an old saying, if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes, it’ll change. That was case on Monday, calm, windy, rain, thunderstorms, thankfully no snow.

[Image: 1stTrueNorthMessabout2008016.jpg]

Ginny Rae departed her dock headed north to rendezvous with Sans Souci, and Polar Dip at the Great Slave Cruising Club. Keenan assisted Denis with launching Polar Dip, and the trio was soon on there way for the adventure of the weekend.

[Image: 1stTrueNorthMessabout2008021.jpg]
Sans Sousi & Polar Dip

The winds were very changeable, with thundershowers blowing through all day. Calm, was closely followed by strong 15-20 knot winds. Rain showers, and some lightening cause crews to run for cover behind Hidden island on back bay, several times during the afternoon.

[Image: 1stTrueNorthMessabout2008018.jpg]
Sans Souci coming out from her mooring at the Cruising Club

[Image: 1stTrueNorthMessabout2008024.jpg]
Nice lines on this vessel, note squared cabin

[Image: 1stTrueNorthMessabout2008014.jpg]
Polar Dip flying with full sail

Everyone retired to our home for some yummy BBQ ribs, chicken wings, and hot dogs for the little ones. I arrived home about 9:00 PM and the stories, smiles, and laughter of the sailors and families, made me realize that a wonderful time was had by all :mrgreen: . Some of the food was saved for me, and I enjoyed it immensely Big Grin .

When Keith returns from his work commitment next week, we’ll all have to indulge in a good day of sailing to make up for our loss. I was glad that Keith, Annie, Ryerson, Keenan and myself were able to have a practice messabout one evening last week.

Fair winds and great sailing to all

Greg
Greg, thanks for including the rest of us in your fun. Looks to me like all had a grand time. The boats look wonderful and so do the crews. Having touuble getting the smiles of their faces I expect. Happy sailing.!!! 8) 8) 8)
We are a happy bunch here in the arctic, not a place for people with depression to live Smile

I can add a bit to the day. Annie and I on Sans Souci were heading across to meet Keenan on Ginny Rae when we spotted a huge thunderstorm coming down from the north towards us. Winds were light so we headed for the closest land, Hideaway Island with hopes of getting there first. Keenan saw what we were doing, and then saw the storm chasing us so he headed for the same island. The squall hit, then a few rain drops as we put Sans Souci into the wharf, but the wind was so strong in the squall that it blew us off before we could secure. Around again with the same result, so just in the lee of the island we spotted reeds and with the sail let out barely holding wind (fishermans reef) we drove her bowsprit into the bushes on shore. You have to love shoal draft boats! We quickly dropped sail and dove into the cabin as the real rain hit. I peeked out and was surprised to see Ginny Rae right beside us in the reeds and Keenan also under cover.

The squall passed and all hands were out sponging off the gear and decks. Pushing off was easy and Keenan headed under motor up wind to help Denis get Polar Dip rigged while Annie and I beat over that way. The afternoon was getting on and we were wet and a bit chilled so we played with the other two boats a short time before taking our mooring. Loads of fun and a contrast to yesterdays sail under a blazing sun and 30C temps.