BYYB Forums

Full Version: Captains License
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

John Crow

I am trying to find out where to start in getting certified to sail the sea's. Looking for a good place to start taking courses and as I am in Colorado lol I will probably need to find something online? Please help if anyone knows how to get all this started.
Thanks in advance! Crow
John you need to look at some of the formal sailing schools. A CG Master of Seas license is a whole other story from just a bareboat charter certification by a sailing school. For the CG License there is a rigorous academic side and a rather lengthily practical. Many years as a Mate before you are a Master. The days of passing a test and getting a 6 pac license are long over. You don't need a license to sail your own boat.

John Crow

Maybe I should be more specific. My retirement plan consists partly of traveling around the world on my own 40-50 ft yacht. Family as crew.
So maybe the correct question would be. (what all is required for a man to sail family/friends and himself around the world to different locations legally?)
Keep in mind I am only looking into the legalities at this point. I have alot to learn about sailing before I would feel comfortable taking people I love out to sea with me. :wink:
As far as I know, you don't need any formal training...isn't that just terrible?

Lots to be learned by nav courses at clubs and practical seamanship and many are more then qualified this way, many are not but go anyway.

marcin_ciuk

I don't know about other jurisdictions, but here in Poland, in Spain, Croatia, Greece (I think) and Turkey if you sail your own boat, you have to have the papers (or none as the case may be) as required by the authorities appropriate to the flag you fly.

Chartering or insuring a boat in these places (flying their flags) is a whole other kettle of fish. You have to have at least VHF/SRC radio papers

For example, here in Poland, to charter anything bigger than an Omega (don't know if you have them in the US, it's a 16' open-cockpit sloop with about 150sqft of sail and a daggerboard) you have to have Inland Skipper's papers (in theory you don't, but in practice a charter without a patent cannot be insured), which is a 10 day practical course, 40 hours of theory, a written test and an exam on the water, which also includes man-overboard rescue manouvering. And further examinations (Coastal Skipper, Marine Skipper and Blue-Water Captain) only get harder from there on in.
Chartering is different. You must have the proper papers/courses, that you can get here in Canada from most schools that teach these levels.
There is the Power Sqaudrons which is in Canada and the US. In Canada it is know as the Power & Sail Squadrons. They offer every course you could imagine from basic sailing to celestial navigation. Become a member and you even get a discount. Most of the courses are taught locally by certified instructors. Have a look online for a squadron near you.

In the US http://www.usps.org/

In Canada http://www.cps-ecp.ca/
In the USA, you don't need any form of licensing to operate a vessel. If you use your boat as "passengers for hire" or in other words charge a fee for the boat ride in any way, including bringing beer or food, you need a license. This license is commonly referred to as the "six pack" as it's good for up to six passengers and typically seen on tour boats or fishing boats where lot of beer will be found. The USCG hates the term six pack so don't use it around them. This is the easiest license to get.

There are four basic categories of licenses:
- OUPV (Operator Uninspected Passenger Vessel) this is the six pack and typically used for charter skippers.
- OUPV limited
- Limited Master
- Master, 100 tons

The OUPV licenses are pretty easy to get, requiring a course and sometimes some documentation of helm time on a similarly sized craft (OUPV limited).

The limited masters are a lot like the OUPV except they must have more documented operator time and passed USCG or NASBLA approved exams (courses). This is a license for USCG inspected vessels. It's broken down into 25, 50 and 100 ton tickets with an additional "Auxiliary Sail" endorsement available.

The masters ticket is the one I have, again rated at 50 or 100 tons with a sail endorsement possible. It requires more documentation of helm time and completed courses. I have the 100 ton, with an unlimited sail endorsement.

Most people just need the six pack (OUVP) and on line courses are available, as are CD's and classroom stuff. You can even get a "Captain's License for Dummies" book and go take the test.

Personally I'd recommend everyone take the USPS (US Power Squadron) "small boat handling" course. It's offered free to the public in most cases and it will teach you the rules of the road. At this class you can find out about where and how to get your USCG license(s) if you really want one.

Unless you plan on charging people for a ride on your boat, you don't need a license in the USA (isn't freedom great). Insisting they bring beer is the same thing as charging someone, so . . .