BYYB Forums

Full Version: Trailer thoughts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Rob Kern

First, a public "thank you" to Terry Peterson for his generosity in helping me get a legal set of plans for the boat! My hat's off to you sir!

Second, keeping in mind that opinions are like certain stinky anatomy, I'd like to solicit thoughts on a trailer I'll be looking at tommorrow in preparation for the Weekender I intend to build. The truth is that I don't know enough about boat trailers to know what questions to ask about it.

"If you need a trailer, and have a little elbow grease, you need to buy this trailer !! It is a tandem axle trailer with 12 inch tires. This trailer is 16' long. Please call Jay at xxx-xxx-xxxx. Thanks. God Bless You."

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/boa/760728172.html

The picture shows a once-white boat trailer that has a fair amount of rust. Assuming the structure hasn't been affected by the corrosion, I think I can't really go wrong for $50. The seller tells me the tires are getting old - cracked - and that they used to haul a boat on it until a couple of years ago. The bearings are believed to be good. It's being sold by a well-known boat maintenance company here in town.

I read somewhere that the Weekender comes to about 700 - 800 pounds depending on how you build it so I think anything with tandem axels will hold the weight. A 16' trailer should be long enough, but I may need to extend the tounge to keep the bowsprit out of the back of the van.
Rob, based only on the photo this is way over kill for a Wkndr and will need more elbow grease then you want to expend. IMNSHO of course.

Rob Kern

Yeah, I figued the overkill. The elbow-grease judgment will be reserved until I see it though. This seems likely to fall into the "too good to be true" category.
Looks are free though Rob. May be a diamond inthe rough and could be excellent trade goods.
That appears to be a 4,000 pound trailer for a 1,000 pound boat. Sort of a reverse Dolly Parton bra . . .

Elbow grease usually means, wheel bearings, maybe hubs, spring shackles, maybe springs, coupler, new fasteners, new jack, re-wiring, lights, tires, maybe rims too. How handy are you? Can you weld?

Rob Kern

Pretty handy, would like an excuse to learn to weld. Time is on my side as well, since I don't yet have a boat to put on it. I already expect tires and electric, not too expensive there. Springs, hubs etc. are why I posted here to begin with: How do I know if hubs/bearings need to be replaced?
Take them apart clean them up and inspect them is the only sure way. About $12 buck a wheel as I recall. Buy at the parts house not Worst Marine.

Rob Kern

Well, I took a chance and bought it. The rust is pervasive and the fastneners won't give up without a fight, but I can buy elbow grease by the 5-gallon bucket pretty cheap. The welds looked good and there wasn't any rust-through evident.

It needs pretty much everything, as it is little more than a frame and 4 wheels, but now I have a project for the rest of the summer.

I sure hope none of that paint is lead-based.....
My thoughts are YOU BOAT PLANS WILL BE DELIVERED TOMORROW. Bud :lol:
For $50 bucks you can go that wrong. Still a bargain with wiring, bearings, tires, and paint. You could easily haul a Vacationer, or a large power boat on that that thing. Nice find. Smile

Greg
Pages: 1 2