BYYB Forums

Full Version: Getting started with Dead Wood!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

John Crow

I got started on my weekender a couple weeks ago. I still don't have the money for my plywood so I can't do much Sad but I have been really lucky with all the rest of the wood. A friend of mine is giving me all the Lumber but Plywood since nobody has the stuff here in Colorado. I started by trying to mill huge beams of Fir into my 1x12 stock but decieded that this was way to much work with only a shop size band saw :oops: so now I have a bunch of Dead Wood that I am laminating up for the keel instead. We are calling the Keel lumber Dead Wood because we got it from the old boulder mortuary when they turned it into condo's Kinda funny...I trimmed the place out before I ever knew my friend got his hands on some of the wood from the old building. I sure hope all the blessings they put on the place before Demo worked :lol: I don't have pic's yet of the DeadWood but it is really old straight and clear wood. mostly fir but one layer of the keel will be pine from the same building.
I also built the Rudder. it just needs a little more sanding and it will be complete. trying to post pic's with this message? I built the rudder out of some really beautiful old growth black walnut and am trimming out alot of the boat with this same tree. Cant wait to clearcoat it; the dark purples and sap lines are hard to see without wetting the wood to take the picture. I will post more as soon as I start the lofting of the keel. Best of luck with all your projects.

[Image: Boat018.jpg]

[Image: Boat013.jpg]

aaron_stokes

and a fine start it is, capn!

hey, have you checked out the south west fleets board lately? i see you are in boulder..... if you would like to meet the fleet, we are going to be invading the shores of youba lake in utah. if it is not too many miles to travel, you are welcome aboard the daydream.
Now that is some beautifull wood John. I'm so glad you got started with your project. soounds like your off to a good start.
Have you located where you will get the plywood ?
Yes, like Aaron said if you can you should check out the SW fleet for sure.
There are lotts of great folks out that way, they go to great lengths to help one another, and have a great time.
Good luck with your build If I can help in any way, just give me a shout.

Brian.
Great looking wood!