BYYB Forums

Full Version: Stevenson Proj Video
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Greetings to all,
I recieved plans for Vacationer in Feb. Can anyone tell me if the content of the DVD is any different from the VHS originally offered by Stevenson Proj? I would like to hear from anybody that has either. Is it worth the $? ("We are but humble Pirates...") I would like to buy DVD if anyone has one for sale. I will continue to monitor Stev Proj to see if/ when they are up and running again.
Also, are there any Vacationers in the Central FL area? Either built or under construction. I missed Cedar Key this year, are there any other messabouts forcast that may have Vac in attendance? I had previously owned 25' Mac some ten yrs ago. Now landlocked and with four yr old "mate", downsizing seems to be in order. I really need to see Vac to make final decision. Any assistance is greatly appreciated! (Many thx to you Mr. Riccelli for all your previous input. I haven't forgotten that I owe you a "coldy". Will call when I'm in the neighborhood. I had to just "back away from the computer" for a bit before I gave myself an aneurysm!

capnpablo-
Hey Paul, I have the vhs which I made into a dvd myself a couple years back, before they were offered. I think they are a plus, they helped me out pretty good. then I found the BYYB and any troubles I have are answered.
they are worth it if you ask me.

Brian.
Hey Brian,
Thx for your response. Might you still have VHS? Is it worthy of conversion to DVD and would you be willing to part with? As I have purchased Vac plans from Stev Proj I'm pretty sure I pass security clearance with regards to legally having a copy (original) VHS. I don't believe that video was in any way changed when converting to DVD format but cannot confirm.
Thx Again, Paul.
Hey Paul - glad to see you got in ok. Welcome to the madness here.
Thx Richard for the welcoming reception.
Fortunately, I can live with madness. It's insanity that gives me the shakes. Confusedhock:

capnpablo-
Hi Paul.

You're dealing with the tricky concepts of Copyright now.

In Canada, we're allowed to copy/transfer "owned data" from one format to another - though video was never specified and the Studios are all up in arms against it. This is supposed to be for the purpose of "backups" only for personal use. We're presently in the midst of changing our laws, so that will probably change soon to be more clear and restrictive.

In the states, your laws area more complex - I don't know if you're allowed to even copy videos for backup purposes. As the DVD is (supposed to be) available as a seperate orderable entity, you may not be able to. Depends on what the actual copyrights are worded where you're at.

I have both VHS & DVD from Stevensons.

I can tell you that the DVD consists of the program from the VHS tapes. You gain no new materials / data by having the DVD. If you already have the tapes, you really don't need the DVDs.

If it's a case of your tapes becoming worn, then you might be better off (and cheaper) to copy your tapes to DVD via a home recorder or PC with a capture card.

When (hopefully soon) Stevenson's come back online, you can order the $47 DVD kit. It does include a fancy case that will hold the two DVDs as well as the plans. Up to you whether you need that case (big reason for the cost, I suspect).
Greetings Bruce,
I thank you for input. I do not have VHS tapes or otherwise. I am in final stages of undertaking Vac project. I do plan to build model first. With no disrespect intended towards Stev Proj., I just felt that having video would help with my construction. Obviously DVD being my first choice. The info you provided regarding content answered my first question. I'm not planning on "Bootlegging" Stev Proj videos. And yes, we down here have a tendacy to over protect ourselves in regards to copyrights. What are you gonna do? I just wanna build a plywood boat. If/ when Stev Proj is back on-line, I'll happily purchase DVD. (I really just want the fancy box!) I was just trying to cover my arse without hurting anybody's feelings. My trepidation is based on capital, and my rediculous attention to detail. Did I mention capital? My Admiral/Financial Advisor will attest that whenever I undertake project, multiply by three the actual build time. I just felt that video would knock off, say 20% of build time. Seems to me that too many folks are entirely too uptight these days. I mean, if I were "bootlegging" assembly video of Stev Proj ideas to turn massive profits then I understand concern. But, for simple folk, like myself, passing around and continuing the "advertising" without self gain seems a bit petty. Anyway, I degress, (I do that alot!) Thx again for your input. At risk of life in prison, hard labor, of course, if, by chance Stev Proj has folded, would you consider allowing me to borrow "VHS tapes?". I promise not to make thousand or so copies.

capnpablo-
Having dealt with a few of these "infringement" cases before, some of my own stuff, I can tell you they will not bother you, if you make a copy or other wise reproduce, for your personal use a DVD, VHS or other format video. The intention of the law is to prevent wholesale reproduction of someone else's efforts. A single copy isn't worth pursuing, the attorney fees alone don't make such a case worthwhile. Now, make a few thousand, sell them and you can bet some one will get pissy. Make one, copy one, buy one from a fellow builder and you're in good shape. Try to make money off of the same and you'll get sued.
Hey Paul,
How have you been? My apologies for so abrubtly not communicating. As I mentioned previous, aneurysm and all. Based on our last exchange, I would say, at this point, I am 97.8% sure that the Vac is what I want. I would very much like to set up mtg in the near future in regards to your last email. I agree, that there are some "things" we can do to the basic design of the Vac. I must include that I have studied all the drawings that you've sent me. I don't mean any offense to you or your design's eye, and I immensly appreciate your point of view! I cannot quote the individual, however, I have succumb to my boat picking me at this point. If we don't get blasted by a hurricane in the next couple of months, I'd like to meet with you and discuss further.
In regards to this thread, I obviously understand yours and Stev Proj's point of view in re: to copyright infrigement. I would never want to disrespect your talent and insight. "I just want to build a friggin plywood boat!" OK, got that out!

capnpablo-
I have plans and the vhs tape for the weekender II that I have never used and do not intend to use. They would be no help to you but the point is I am sure there is someone out there that has the vacation DVD or tape that has not and is not intending to build. If you can get more information then the plans (the DVD) I suggest you do. I am building the Triad and the plans were sufficiently vague to me. The Weekender and Vacationer are far more complex. A video would have added a lot. Fortunately the people on this board patiently answered my questions and so the boat nears finish.
Pages: 1 2