BYYB Forums

Full Version: MIA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Rob Kern

Okay folks, I've been following (lurking on) this forum for about a year now. I've been champing at the bit to get a Weekender started, but with the Stevenson's site down for the entire time, I'm pretty much giving up hope on them.

I REALLY like the looks of the Weekender and Vacationer what with the bowsprit and all. Since the issue of copyrights was flogged in a previous post, I've decided to shop elsewhere but I haven't been able to find plans for similar-looking boats yet. I've glanced through a few books on the topic and surfed through Duckworks, but nothing has caught my interest like the Stevensons' designs.

Does anyone have info about:
  • Whether orders are fullfilled even when the site is down?
    Alternate designs with similar looks?
    Persons willing to share plans/DVD's in spite of copyright issues in light of the apparent collapse of the company? (Not certain I'd go this way myself, but there's got to be a way to keep these boats alive...)

As always, any input is appreciated.

Rob
I'm not sure Rob, but there may be someone that has not built one of these boats but does have a set of plans they maybe able to sell you. Hopefully someone will chime in on this.
I would like to welcome you to the madness and extend my hand to you. I will be looking in to this for you and will let you know as soon as I find anything out.

Brian.

Rob Kern

Thanks for the welcome, and maddness it is, indeed! My interest started because I found some pictures of a sailing rig atached to a canoe; that led me to the Mini-Cup and of course the Weekender from there. All this and I have been on the water fewer than a dozen times in my life. Probably just too much Jimmy Buffet.

Though it be madness, yet there is method in it. I hope. Anyway, here's hoping that the Stevensons can get things back together so we don't have to go underground.
Rob I have a set of plans and the video for the weekender. I haven't built the boat and will not be building it. My plans are for the Weekender, not the Weekender II, builder number 72. That is a number they wrote on the last page of the plans. You will have to ask the forum what the differences are between the Weekender and Weekender II. I ordered the video tape from them at that time also. I haven't watched the tape so others would have to comment on how much it helps the build process.

I bought Weekender, Skipjack and Triad plans from the Stevensons. I am currently building the Triad. I won't be using the Skipjack plans either. I ordered them by mistake thinking they were the new Super Skipjack that the Stevensons refer to on their website.

I think the concenses, on this forum, was that I can transfer the plans to another person as long as I don't copy them or haven't built the boat. Here's a link to that discussion:

http://www.byyb.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php...c&start=15

It was suggested that I send the Stevensons a curtesy email concerning plans transfer. I would call the Stevensons or email them but they haven't responded to an email I sent, concerning the mistakenly ordered plans, and the phone number I got from the site didn't work. Last I heard, on this forum, was they were in the process of moving.

Let me know what you think and if you are interested in the plans. I owe Craig an apology. He suggested I post the plans in the "for sale" area of the forum and I haven't, after saying I would. Old age and Interlux 202 solvent fumes are to blame. Ok just old age, though the 202 solvent fumes are very potent. I can't imagine using that stuff without my organic filters on my safety mask.

Rob Kern

Wow, they say they put out the II in '94 and you've got VHS. Did life get in the way? It has a habit of doing that, I know. Nasty bugger.

Anyway, I found the differences between I and II on the website:
  • Here's a list of the updates on the Weekender II:
    Starting at the bow...

Beefed-up bowsprit cut from standard stock rather than full-round
    Lengthened clubfoot jib allowing better performance
    Bits sunk down through the deck to the stem to provide real cleating strength
    Mast tabernacle to allow quick fold-away of rig (and quick set-ups)
    Stronger mast from standard lumber stock
    Turnbuckles instead of deadeyes
    Peak halyard reeved back to the cockpit for mid-course adjustments
    Complete omission of the jack-knife centerboard , slot in the keel, and lifting tackle
    Enlarged ports in the cabin
    Beefed-up rubrails
    Full-length cockpit coaming to transom
    Taffrail at transom to exit deck water
    Motor mount for electric outboard
    Boom crutch
    Cockpit floor grating
Some fairly significant stuff, but from what I've seen on this board I think I can get help in making a few of the updates I think are more complex - omission of centerboard, addition of tabernacle and full length cockpit. Everything else either won't matter to me or seems basic enough to improvise during construction. This would all fall under customization of the original plans.

Now to get clearance from the wife, who is under pressure from my own mother to deny....... Of course, there's every possibility that they'll just sit here another 14 years until I pass them on to someone else. I'll have to include a VCR for those tapes by then! Tongue

Terry, I'll let you know in a couple of days if I can do anything - I have to finish a bathroom remodel first. I believe there are messaging options on the forum here, otherwise I'll post again.

Thanks,
Rob
Yeah the changes should not be to difficult, folks here can guide you through Matey. I, like you stumbled onto this site. I was a model builder looking for pics to scratchbuild from, I found the Stevensons web page, and then the BYYB. I figured if I can make the small ones, I can make the real ones. Everyone here has been a fantastic help in my build, and I am sure you will find the same.

Brian.
Paul has some nice designs in the Wkndr/VAC size range that may work for you too. Search the forum for PAR and see if they come up. Welcome to the maddness 8)
The Plans I have show a Taffrail and the motor mount screwed to the taffrail. They also have a cockpit grate shown. There is a page with a diagram for a "Folding Mast Tabernacle option", A Boom Crutch and these plans have chain-plate straps. No centerboard in the plans either.

I called the plans I have Weekender plans because that is what the title of the plans say. When I read the first page of the plans they talk about modifications and say that these are now Weekender II Plans. Sorry I should have checked a bit further before just calling them Weekender Plans. So they are Weekender II Plans! I got the video at the same time so it may have the improvements in it also. The 1994 thing got me to check. I procrastinate but not that much.