BYYB Forums

Full Version: Communication devices. What're your faves?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What are most of you using for communication devices should you need one for an emergency? I have so far remained happily free of cell phones, but those days may be coming to an end soon. I see devices at West Marine with all sorts of features and a very wide price range, but I don't want to over or under buy. Is there one unit that I can get that will give me access to information and allow me to call the CG if I have to.
Tom I use a hand held marine VHF radio. Mine is a Uniden Atlantis 250G.
It has a rechargeable battery or you can power it with AA Alkaline batterys. It is also waterproof. Water will fry a cell phone. Bud
Use a marine VHF radio like Bud said and become familiar with the channels. Handhelds are convenient but only have 5 watts of power and the attenna is only as high as you are holding the unit. Mounted VHF require wiring and a battery but are 25 watts power and you can put the attenna at the top of your mast. I notice a big difference of range between these two different types of units. For my small boats I use the handheld but did go to the trouble to install a mounted vhf in my bigger boat.

Cell phones are needed IMHO for emergency contact on inland lakes. When you are on the coast the coast guard constantly monitors VHF transmissions but inland lakes it is kinda hit or miss wether anyone is monitoring. A cell phone gives you instant 911 communications if there is a problem. A freezerbag (heavy duty ziplock) makes a cellphone nicely waterproof and you can even use the cellphone through the bag.
This is a life saver in our area: http://www.findmespot.com/ExploreSPOT/SP...enger.aspx

Works very well in remote places that VHF and cell can't work. Not for everyone, but when you are "out of reach", a possible life saver.
I saw a Cobra 5 watt VHF radio in a local store the other day. Thought I would look on line for the specs.

http://cobra.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=pr...gory_ID=26

Listed everywhere for Under $100. Looks like a good deal

joel