BYYB Forums

Full Version: Hello?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is there anybody out there? What'cha all doing? any sailing, building or just alot of life happening.
Let me know how Y'all are doing.
Me just buisy at work and home working quite slowly on the boat. You know the life thing,lot's of hony do's and honey don'ts.
Let me know you are alive and well.
Thank You
Brian
I'm just starting to get organized for the construction of two (yep 2, side by side) CS-17's. Because I'm getting old, I just finished installing central air conditioning in the shop, so I can work in comfort for a change. It's been about 20 years since I worked in an A/C'd shop, so I'm feeling pretty decadent, though I still got itchy from hanging all the duct work.

David Metzker

Finally wiring up my shop, cut a hole and built a frame, and installed an air conditioner. Been sanding, chizeling, scraping, etc on the bottom and keelson of Dulcinea.
Actually, had the shop wired, outlets and lights,,,but have been running it off a heavy extension cord from the house. Now I have a 6 circuit panel, (one 220, four 110 circuits) and will hopefully have final hookup by the end of the weekend.
Did NOTHING last weekend,,,pretty much couldn't,,had another bout of Menier's. Had alarm set for 6:15 am, planned on cutting grass then a full weekend of boatwork,,,rolled over to shut off the alarm, and the bed jumped about 3 feet in the air and rolled over,,,,woohoooo,,,,Free Ride!
It took an unusually long time for the primary shocks to subside, more than 3 hours,,and the aftershocks lasted thru most of sunday.
Under normal operation,,,all your nerve endings send signals to the balance canal and endolymphatic sac and tube (your internal hydraulic balance system) Sometimes, that system goes haywire, sending signals BACK thru the balance nerve, to the nerve endings,,,creating the most intense roller coaster ride you could imagine! You actually FEEL the ground, the chair, the bed move Violently,,,Up and Over,,,
Just back last evening from 10 days in the Yukon as support for a racer in the Yukon River Quest, the longest annual canoe/kayak race in the world. Little sleep, lots of driving from point to point, but worth it. Who doesn't love Dawson City!!?? My guy came in 4th over in solo kayak and 21st over all. Total distance I think is 430 miles or so.

Back to the weekender Monday.
Too hot to do much. 105+ every day, no rain, Wx report is always clear and a million, except for the dust. Can't keep the tree pollin and leaves out of the pool. Need to hit stuff by 5 Am but hate to start the power tools that early for the neighbors sake. Lot's of recent work travel. Basicly just not getting anything done.

James Sanders

What's all this moaning?

Sounds as if you have been infected by that pernicious influence of Barnacle Jim, who claims to be building a boat, but the project seemingly never ends.

You permit the weather to stop you? Now, what kind of sailor is that?
How do you ever expect to sail the high seas, if you let a little hot weather dampen your sails.

You know the saying, attributed to the US Post office, but actually is from Herodotus, the Greek historian:
Quote:"Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these courageous couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

Much to chagrin of those read such postings as these, Barnacle Jim has once again dedicated himself to the task of finishing his boat. Yes, he is working under a canopy in the heat of the day; it matters little to him whether the temperature is a cool 105 degrees or a blistering 115 degrees. "Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat . . . ."

(However, as a disclaimer, I must tell you that Barnacle Jim does not work in the sweltering afternoons; he does work early in the mornings, around 5:00 am, or late in the evenings, after 7:30 pm. Just be careful what he says to you; you can't always believe everything he tells you, including these very words. You can believe, however, that he is continuing to work on his boat, torpedoes and weather, be detested and ignored.)
My son and I are gathering our supplies, preping the boat for a journey to the East Arm of Great Slave Lake. Sailing, fishing, relaxing. We hope to leave Sunday or Monday, I plan to be back in time for Ryerson's, and Keith's planned launch of their new, and refitted Weekenders in mid July. I hope to get some good pictures to post upon return.

Greg
Hey Jim, Glad to hear you are still afloat. I was beginning to wonder. Who ever takes the tempurture at Sky Harbor lies like a rug. It is always hotter up at my place then the TV says. It is just too easy to lay in the pool and drink beer thinking about working on the boat then actually doing the work. Still I am making some progress. I keep finding things that divert my efforts. The nickle dime stuff just seems to be endless. I find I am accepting a lower standard of finish then was previously tollerated. I really need to get her done so we can go out before snow flies up here.
Since the loss of Nealy Perfet, I bought a little FRP Capri (Omega) 14.2 to satisfy my sailing fix. It's a 1980 model, so I've kept busy replacing lines and fiddling with bits for the summer. It's got a minor case of boat pox, which will be addressed this winter, along with a general refinish and refit. On the other hand, it sails like an arrow and can be righted from a capsize without breaking anything (experience speaks!). A new boatshed is in the planning/dreaming stages, with the caveat being that it has to also accommodate firewood somehow. :?

The Goat Island Skiff has been temporarily shelved for the above reason, just no place to build it. I tried renting some space from a local woodshop, but they wanted $100/week. That would've been one expensive boat!

Otherwise, I'm just working, sleeping, eating and trying to get out of mowing the grass (it's not even 6 inches tall yet...)
I finally got out on the water a couple of weeks ago. As everything is new to me I did manage to do some damage to the keel which I had to repair last week and was able to hit the water again last Sunday. On my first time out I didn't have the boat lined up any where near as centered as I should have when pulling her back onto the trailer and managed to put a few gouges on the side of the keel. Last week I forgot to raise the rudder as I pulled her out of the water. More repair work over the next couple of days and I hope to go out to the coast and drop her into Tomales Bay. On the keel issue I decided last week to go ahead and build a channel for that on the trailer which should help me idiot proof this process. I have the thing built, but I just need to get some primer and paint on it and bolt it onto the trailer. I should have it done by the end of the day Saturday. If all goes well we should have a good lengthy day on the water this Sunday and hopefully we'll get some pics of her in action. I'm happy to say that on the two occasions I've been out with her, I've received many complements. People just fall in love with these boats.
Pages: 1 2