BYYB Forums

Full Version: Weekender Gudgeon & Pintle set available at Duckworks ..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Duckworks is selling Gudgeon & Pintle sets to fit the Weekender rudder box. The jaws are 1 & 3/4 inches wide, but can be "adjusted" to fit rudder boxes with widths from 1 & 1/2 to 2 inches.

I am pretty sure I had looked here in the past and not found any rudder mounting hardware that would be wide enough, so this looks like a new item.

The copy describing the hardware says the parts are custom made by the Race-Lite folks from some beefy stainless steel. I'll let you know when they arrive. Big Grin
Here's the direct link ...

http://duckworksbbs.com/hardware/p-g/wee.../index.htm

Cheers,
Tom
Thought I'd finally get around to posting pictures of the hinges ...

[Image: hinge_together.jpg]

[Image: hinge_apart.jpg]

Now for the mounting.

Does anybody remember the details to the procedure for setting a screw in epoxy?

I intend to set the screws for the gudgeons into the deadwood of the keel via an over-sized hole filled with epoxy, the intent being that the wood surrounding the hole will be sealed and not suffer from rot caused by water wicking along the screw threads.

I seem to remember three possibilities, all three of which start by drilling an over-sized hole and filling the hole with epoxy; and then ...

(1) While the epoxy is still wet, set the fitting over the hole, clamp, and press a machine screw in tightly. Clean up overflow, Let cure.

(2) Press a beeswax coated machine screw into the wet epoxy, let cure. Then back out the screw and attach the fitting normally.

(3) Let epoxy cure. Drill and tap. Attach fitting normally.

While option 1 appears to be very permanent, the screw can be removed at a later time by heating the screw with a soldering iron, which will soften the epoxy.

Which one of these would be best?

Thanks in advance,
Tom
I have used your third method, filling and then tapping a smaller hole in the epoxy "plug" for your mounting screws. I don't know which is really better, but I would go with door#3 because unless you mix up the epoxy really thick, or you can stand your boat on its nose, you will have to cover the holes somehow to keep the epoxy from oozing out while it cures. And, pushing the screw into the epoxy will displace most of it and make a big mess on your new gudgeons (or pintles, I can't remember which is which)

My opinion, by the way, is completely uneducated. But I've found with my boat, the method involving fewer steps is usually the wrong one.