BYYB Forums

Full Version: Starting an Amphora
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Joe_Hildreth

Hello all,

It has been ages since I have posted here. Too many things going on in life to name them all, but it is starting to get back to normal.

My youngest son, Mike (age 9), told me he would like to build a boat. After looking at a few different simple plans that he could work, he settled on the Stevenson's Amphora. I told him that I would document his progress on my website and thought I would pass it along for any of you who would like to watch as it comes together. You can view it by going to http://www.myheap.com/projects/amphora/amphora.php.

Unfortunately, Mike is at camp this week and will be with his Mother the following week so you will not see anything new for a little while.

Hope you all are doing well.

Regards,

Joe Hildreth
Waverly, TN

Dustin Newkirk

Very neat. I look forward to seeing further construction.
Sometimes I wish I had kept something like this for my build.

Brian_Watford

That is a cool father and son project. I look forward to the updates.
Thank you for sharing your website with everyone. Welcome back I know how thngs just find a way to get in the way Big Grin .
What a great project, I look forward to seeing your son's progress on your website. I think that is just fantastic Joe.

Brian.
Nice Project! The project and website are great motivations. I think you are correct in thinking it may encourage your other children. Where did you get the plans for Stevenson's Amphora? Also if you don't mind what are the dimensions of the boat?

Joe_Hildreth

Hello all,

Thanks for the support. I found the Book (Plans) "The Amphora, A boat you can build for underwater research" on Amazon. It is out of print but there are a few used ones for sale.

Rough dimensions for the boat are:

LOD: 7'4"
Beam: 45-1/4 "

You can find a few pictures of the completed amphora on Stevenson's site by looking under the builder pages.

Mike (My son) got home from camp today. The first thing he asked me was when can we start back on the boat. I told him when he got back from visiting his mom.

I drop a line when he gets some more done.

Regards,

Joe
The Amphora is a nice boat, my friend Mark, built one in Fairbanks for his daughter.

Enjoy 8)

[Image: normal_Fairbanks_Fleet%2C_Skippers_and_Crew.JPG]