BYYB Forums

Full Version: Pocket Cruiser Refit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After the last meeting of the Southeast Fleet at the launch ramp at Lake Hartwell after spending considerable time getting my boat ready to go home the decision has been made to remove the sailing gear and convert my boat to a motor boat that I can handle. Shortley I will have a mast, booms, sails and rigging for a PC builder to pick up.
Those boats always looked like they could be converted to a tug real easy. The hulls just had that look. Put a nice wheel house on that cabin roof and you're good to go Ed.
You know Ed I bet she'd look great as a motor boat, and alot easier for you to handle as well.

Brian.
[Image: normal_BYYB-48.jpg]

Have a look at this Ed. The top is a stock PC, the next has had it's sprit, cabin and mast cut off. This one also has had it's keel cut way down (you don't need it on a powerboat).

The last version is to prove to those non-believers, that a yellow boat with white waterways and gray decks can work, even with a touch of purple (okay maybe lilac). These last two also show a hint of a windshield.
Paul, I am not a nonbeliever. If you said there would be a day long solar eclipse tomorrow I would probably go out and buy batteries. At least I would consider it. Big Grin My comments about the color scheme were because of the purple and tassles you added on the other post. I thought you were teasing just a tad.

I do like the yellow/grey/white look. As a matter of fact I did a test panel this morning where I mixed the Brightside yellow with the Brightside white to get a lighter yellow. It came out just like the lighter yellow you have on the above boat. I had always been planing on using mahogany rub rails with varnish so one of the little pictures I have of the Triad with different paint schemes is very close.

The problem with the white waterways is still the glare. The first test panel I made was Brightside white for the waterways and off white for the non-skid. The Brightside white waterways provided the Majority of the glare. Perhaps the grey non-skid areas would dampen the glare from the Brightside white? I really would like to have the cockpit area white but then the glare would be back. Is it the high gloss finish that cause such high glare? Would a semi-gloss reduce it enough to make it acceptable? That would mean new paint but that may be the only thing left if the white is just to much.

Sorry to hijack the thread. The idea of changing from sail to motor seems shocking to me but only from a love of sailing perspective. The boat I am building is designed from the start to function as a motor launch so I am really a pot calling the kettle black here.
Terry I have used semi gloss onthe top sides with poor result. Things like to imbed in it and sun tan oils and stuff tend to stain. Satin gives the low sheen desired withthe hardness of Hi gloss. My decks and superstructure is satin white and glares like hell. Worse here than Fla as the air is usually cleaner. A bit of tint would kill the glare and still give that clean white look. The lilac has to go Paul. I still think this would make a nice little tug as opposed to an open runabout for the Ga sun.
[Image: normal_BYYB-49.jpg]

I like the harbor tug idea too Craig, but was too lazy to draw it up. Maybe with some wainscoting about half way up the "pilothouse", round top windows and a big, jutting eyebrow, to keep the sun out of the skipper's eye's.

I'm more of a plum man then a lilac kind of guy.

Satin doesn't resist water ingress as well as gloss and the glare will be about as bad too. It's a function of the color white. It's the most reflective and causes the most glare. Even bone white flat is difficult, though you don't get the added effect of the gloss.

Color combinations can be a headache. I stick with tried and true basics, such as "related colors" or traditional routines. It's nice to look good, but the boat has to function well or it will not get used. The colors above are related, meaning they are yellows or have yellows in them. White, black and gray are nuetral and go with most everything. The cream deck with gray waterways isn't bad eather.
Thanks that is what I had in mind.
[Image: normal_BYYB-50.jpg]

[Image: normal_BYYB-51.jpg]
The fisrt drawing looks the best to me. The others are out of proportion with the size and shape of the hull to my eye.
Pages: 1 2