BYYB Forums

Full Version: Boat Trailer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Let's say a guy like me were interested in building his own trailer for the boat he built himself. Are there any plans out there for such a rig?
The Stevensons used to sell plans for a trailer, I believe Glen-L does - just search the web for boat trailer and tracl some responses down.
Glen-l sells plans and a book. I am thinking about making a small trailer suitable for small boats. My hope is to make the trailer 7'5" long from back of wheels to front of hitch with easily demountable bunks to support the boat past the wheel. That way, I could remove the bunks, roll the trailer up to the wall of the garage, lift the hitch up and basically hang or prop the trailer against the wall.

I already have a folding trailer from Harbor Freight that I love. However, it is a lot more trailer than I need for my smaller boats and isn't a good launch dolly when I am at the lake. Just something more convenient about a small trailer for a small boat.
The Glen-L book on trailers is available on intralibrary loan. You should be able to have them get it for you thru your local library and check it out before spending good hard cash for it.

The trailers are well designed, relatively easy to build and certainly suitable for boats like these. I don't however think you are about to save much over finding a good used one or even a reasonable small new one.
I have two friends that have built them from the plans and by the time they purchased all the materials they needed, they could have purchased a new EZ-loader with bunks. The biggest challenge is finding the steel for anything resembling a reasonable price let alone a good suitable axle and the rest of the fittings and lights, wiring etc.
The easiest way to build a trailer is to find a spent one at the local bone yard or garage sale. Toss some wheels, maybe an axle, some bearings, new lights and wiring to replace the broken cut up stuff that's there. In most areas, where there are plenty of boats, there will be a place that rebuilds and resells trailers. You get a used trailer, with a limited guarantee and no welding burns on your fore arms.

Most trailers you get will require some modification to fit the boat, so you'll get your "trailer work" fix out of your system, even if you buy a new one.

Then there are always the "extras", like loading guides, fresh paint, mags (or just bigger or better) wheels, bearing buddies or oil bath bearings, pivoting jacks, LED lights that don't burn out or drown, fancy hitches, fancy hitch locks, built in hold down eyes, additional keel rollers, HDPE keel guard strips, longer - better shaped bunks, spare tire and carrier, road box (hitch pins, rigging setup tools, etc.) winches, padded bow stop, loading ramp walk way (so you don't have to get your feet wet) nicely varnish bunks with neatly carpeted tops, etc.

I saw a very nice Chris Craft Cobra (kind of ugly, but rare thing with a big tail fin) on a chrome plated trailer a few years ago. A bit much for me, but who knows . . .