BYYB Forums

Full Version: Boat anchor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

BrianRippie

What stile and weight boat anchor do people recommend? The only one I have ever used on boats has been the Danforth stile. What about a plow or delta Lewmar types? What weight would be good for a Vacationer?

If I went with the Danforth then I would store it in the forepeak but if I went with the Lewmar type I would like to keep it just under the bow sprint over the side. Or at least I would try. I saw a picture of this last night over at the weekender builder pages at Stevenson site.

[Image: dsc_949.jpg]

Thanks
Brian
I'm not sure about the Weekender, but will soon find out. In similar size boats I usually used a danforth and a folding gapple(sp) type, about 10 pounds. This was a bit big but in smaller boats you can do this without straining yourself. The length of the rode is as important as weight, more I expect. It also depends on the bottom the anchor will be sitting on. Is it rock, mud? Some work better on different bottoms of course. If you are new to anchoring, your rode (rope you have out) should be at least 4 times as long as the depth of the water you are in, six times leaves me feeling better and more if the wind/waves kick up. I use a half inch nylon rode and usually 25 to 50 feet is enough as with small boats you can get into very shallow water. If it is tidal, figure that in, as well as the swing the boat will take as it turns.

Maybe more then you asked for, time to work on finishing my boat Smile
Brian please post some more pictures of your boat. I like what you did with your mast tabernacle I am going to refit my boat with a like setup. If you post some pictures and instructions on your tabernacle other people might benefit from your efforts, it looks a lot like what Paul has suggested I think.
I've always used this sort of tabernacle Ed. You can see some pics on my blog. All I have left to do with it is drill the hole for the bolt the mast will pivot on and for the "stopper" board (for want of a proper name) that will hold it in place.

BrianRippie

Hey Ed

It's not my boat, I found it here

http://www.stevproj.com/Wieckndr.html

I was thinking I like the way the anchor tucks up under the bow. Even better if it would be hidden by a trail board. I don't want to pull a dirty anchor on board. Just pull it up under the bow sprint and tie off to the bow bit, done.

Brian
I use those type to hinge the masts on my ships in bottles Craig used that setup I think Ed, I am going to use it it looks much nicer.

Brian.

Todd Dunn

The type of anchor depends on the type of bottom you intend on anchoring in. Some work in sand, others in mud, and others work well in rocky bottoms.

Next, you need to decide how you are going to deploy your anchor. Since you don't have brakes on a boat your anchor is your best friend when you are sail along a lee shore. Having an anchor in your cockpit to toss out when you start to think you might be in trouble is a very nice thing to have. Those anchor rollers on the bow are a mixed blessing. When the anchor is quietly sitting and tied into place so it won't fall out or make noise, it really isn't all that useful.

As with all other sailing skills setting your anchor is something you want to practice and be able to to do in seconds if you have an emergency.

Oh yeah, make sure your anchor rode is tied off...
I sure agree with Todd, the anchor should be easy to reach fast when needed.

BrianRippie

Oh ya, I gauss I could keep it in the cockpit. So then I should have a well secured cleat aft to tie off to when things get tuff.

Brian

P.S. I thought "rode" was just a miss spelling for rope till I just looked it up. I used to be in the U.S.C.G. but never on a cutter. I was on small boats in New England and it was always called anchor line.

Dale_Mogk

I recommend getting a copy of 'Chapmans' at your local or online bookstore and read the stuff about small craft seamanship. Especially the stuff about small sailboats. Marlinspike seamanship (knot tying) is another good topic to read up on.

That said, it is often a good idea to actually carry two anchors aboard: one is properly sized for that particular boat (much info on the 'net about this), and the other is one or two sizes smaller and is called the 'lunch hook'. Captains keep the lunch hook within easy reach - if it doesn't actually grab when tossed, it will at least slow things down quite a bit so other measures can be taken. Of course, a quick way to slow things down considerably is to loose the main sheet....

On a boat this size, a loose anchor outside the hull might become a real bad thing in rough weather. Rough weather also causes 'time contraction' (things start happening with very short duration between events). Keep all the stuff aboard neat and orderly. Murphy's rule prevails: if it can go wrong, it probably will - sooner rather than later.

Practice good technique, sail often, but most of all, have fun. Of course, I'm a nut and find an operating challenge the most fun...

Dale
Pages: 1 2