BYYB Forums

Full Version: My boats watertight.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My friend came over the house today to see the famed boat. Well we had some bad rainstorms (well good ones actually) this week. And I went out to show my friend the boat and it was full with no less than 25 gallons of water in the cockpit and more in the cabin. Confusedhock: It was a quarter of the way up the cockpit wall. Now I haven’t used any fiberglass or epoxy except for gluing the joints and encapsulating the stringers. Well not a drop escaped it. I just got in from vacuuming it out. I started with a vacuum but ended up using a fish tank drainer instead (much faster). But it is water tight nothing leaked out of it I haven’t even caulked the cockpit yet.

Brian.
It's amazing how much water can get in there so fast.... :lol:
I know I was shocked. Oh and one other thing my plans were on the floor in the cabin, one of the large fold out sheets with the steering system on it. It kinda began falling apart on me it is in about 4 pieces drying. I hope they dry all right.

Brian.

Brian_Watford

Brian, you are supposed to keep the water on the outside. It really is amazing how you can get 1/4 inch of rain and end up with 12 inches of water in your boat. I don't know how many times I've had to pump mine out.
Brian,

Try bailing a Vacationer :lol:

The same thing happened, the day I moved to the new house. I got lazy and did not re-tarp the boat. After a whole winter of successfully keeping the old girl dry, I blew it. It snowed!

One of these days, covered boat storage, I can only dream :wink:
Covered boat storage? Ok try not to laugh too hard, here is the kicker.
:lol: I do have covered storage, it is a portable carport with a frame and tarp.
I must have nicked it with a board, well in fact I did and forgot about it and did not tape it. It is absolutely amazing how much water got into that boat from that little cut.
I did put the pneumatic wheels on the building trolley. So now I will be able to put her out in the sun to dry (and to work on her). And hopefully keep her dry under cover as well.

Brian.

P.S. Brit, did your boat dry out yet?
As of today, my boat is water tight as well. I haven't tested it with snow or water inside yet.
Wow Ryerson, you and Annie made great progress since my visit last week.

I still haven't cut wood for the new tiller handle, to replace the first that broke while I was bending and glueing it up.

Greg
Yeah Ryerson I should label ths thred "Dont try this at home" :lol:
Greg have you seen Adlas tiller handle, the way she layered it? it looks really good. She does have pictures of it while she was laying it up somewhere.
Brian.
You'll get to it Greg, life gets busy. Today I should get the seats in and the cabin mostly done, that's my goal anyway. Annie is on Baffin Island for a few days so I want to surprise her when she returns. I expect all major construction to be done by Friday with a flip over on the weekend.
Pages: 1 2