BYYB Forums

Full Version: Towing question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

David Metzker

For those who have outboards on thier Weekenders, Vacationers, etc,,do you tow your boat with the outboard mounted? My big worry is the strength of the transom, roaming the highways with that weight suspended off the back.
I beefed my transom under the mount to 1.5" by epoxing 1/4" pannels to the inside. Hauled it all over the country with the motor on the mount with no damage. The doublers went from the center line of the transom out to the outer stringer. 8)

David Metzker

Did you do anything to help tie the thicker transom to the sides?
I used 2x2" for the transom vertical stringers at the sides and epoxied it all. The top and bottom transom support members are 2x4". The doublers go to the edge of the verticals and the epoxy application bonded all. I made four panels and attached them one at a time with short screws to pull them into the curve. I pulled the screws for the next layer and made sure the holes were full of poxy. That Honda 9.9 is 105# on a 12" lever arm, so I also used 1/4" metal backer straps for the mount bolts. You could hang a 327 off that mount!
I leave my motor off the boat when hauling it on the road. I just figure it's easy enough to clamp on the bracket, why let it add weight to the transom and bounce around back there when I can put it in the back of the truck.

Keith
Good point! :wink:
Oh ye without electric start! 8)
I see a lot of power boats on the road here in Northern Illinois heading to and from the Fox river and its chain of lakes. The better boat & trailer setups have the trailer custom built for the boat it is to carry. The trailer is long enough to end just aft of the transom so that the trailer can support the weight of the transom. Some of the trailers have a removable arm or yoke that extends up from the center of the trailer to take some of the weight of the motor and help stabilize the load so that it does not flop around and rip the transom off the boat. If you Google [ transom saver ] you will see a lot of examples.

Cheers,
Tom

David Metzker

I tournament Bass fished for years. I used a transom saver under my 150, it really helped keep the motor from bouncing around. I've given some thought to extending the back of my trailer, both to lenghthen the bunks as well as being able to create support for the back.
[Image: normal_Home_at_last.jpg]

David Metzker

ok,,that was a link to a pic in the byyb galleries, i can copy and paste that url to a header,,and bring up the pic,,but it will not display in the message,,,how come?
Pages: 1 2