BYYB Forums

Full Version: New Member/Racine, WI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Gregory Heath

Hi, Just joined. I like the Pocket Cruiser. I live on Lake Michigan. Will this boat work for coastal cruising?
I just sold a 30' Hunter Sailboat, and want something I can trailer to lakes like Lake Geneva, and also go out on Lake Michigan on the calm days.
I really want a Pocket Cruiser under 19 feet that can do it all...if the Pocket Cruiser is not it...somebody give me some ideas.
I went to the Stevenson site, and see I cannot order the plans.
Is this just a temporary thing...?

Great forum...I look forward to meeting everybody.

Greg
Welcome Gregory, while I am not an expert on the Pocket cruiser, I have been on one and they appear to be pretty stable. However as far as coastal cruising you would need someone who has built ones opinion as I have no idea.
I am sure someone will chime in here and help answer your questions.
Again welcome to the madness, just jump on in and ask away. If you do decide to build, please share your experience and possibly a photo or two of your progress with us.

Brian.
Welcome aboard Gregory, I guess I am your P/C man. The P/C is a stable little boat. Easy to trailor launch and rig. O.K. for coastel crusing but not a big water boat. I have had mine in the gulf but not in 15 ft. seas. My P/C is standard size, if I were you I would build 12.5 to 15% over size. You will still be under 20'. If you deside on the P/C we will go to work on getting some plans from the stevensons or some info on where to get some. We have three members in the southeast fleet who have built P/C's. So we should be able to answer most questions. Go to the photo gal. section on the board to look at a couple. Bud Smile

Gregory Heath

Thanks for all the great responses. I have looked at all the sailboats on all the pages. Love it. I like the size of the Pocket Cruiser and love that it's rigged like a Cat Boat. I have been looking online at all the sailboat plans offered. Wow. I just didn't realize that there were so many designs.
Depending on what I build, I will post pictures on my website, and or do some YouTube movies.

My garage is about 20' long by about 10 foot wide. If I used my wife's side of the garage, I'm not sure you all would ever find my body.

Most of the time when I go sailing on Lake Michigan, I wait for the best conditions. Lake Michigan is not very forgiving, so I have to pick the days I go out.

I did look for some blue water cruising boats...I found a 15 footer for open water cruising, but it looks like the argonaut..

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jw/fafnir/index.htm

http://www.chebacco.com/

or Swaggie
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jw/swaggie/index.htm
I like the looks of the chebacco, I like the swaggie the best of the three.
Whichever you decide to build, I look forward to watching your progress.
Please post lots of pictures.

Brian.

Gregory Heath

Hey Brian..

I just showed my wife the boat(s). She kind of likes the bigger boats.
She likes the Vacationer.
she is so worried about the boat tipping or taking my 4 year old son out on lake michigan. That's a concern of mine too...

Even with the 30 footer I had, I never took my Son out because he is so much a hand full even with a life jacket and tether harness.

I was going about building a boat that I could build under 20' including the trailer. Now I see that if I build a boat that's 20 feet or so, the trailer is going to be over 20 total with the boat.

So she just suggested I put in a hard pad on the side of the house connected to the driveway. That way we could store it on the side of the house during our extended winters here. (Wisconsin)

I guess I'm stuck between having too big a boat.
I was paying $1800 a summer for a gated dock..on Lake Michigan, but did not have the ability to take the boat anywhere, other than day sailing.
It cost us about $1500 per winter to store it after I did all the prep work winterizing it. Plus maintenance/boat payments.

It sure would be nice to build a sailboat that I could have at home, so I could work on it. The money I "save" could be put into a boat with features I want like towability, fast rigging, fun for the family for a multitude of destinations. something Portable 20' for less. Above 20 feet it's probably not a quick set up when I want to take it to the lake (michigan) or other inland lakes. Would be great to have a little yanmar diesel..but probably not practical for such a boat. A 5HP 4 stroke long outboard would do the trick.

Whatever I decide to do I WILL post pictures...

Hope everybody is enjoying their Memorial Day.

Greg
To tell you the truth I know it sounds biased but I love the vacationer, enough to actually build it. I have into it about what you pay for storage fees and dock space for a year which is not to bad. I have been on a couple of them, and they have enough room for two to go camping in a nice cove on the lake. and are very stable. the thing i like about it is it is small enough to have at home I am going to pour a pad on the side of the house and that will be my storage facility Big Grin
I look forward to your progress in whichever design you choose.
Good luck. I cant wait to see the photos.
I have the whole build recorded on my personal webpage, just click my pirate flag below and it will take you there.
Brian.
Hi Greg, I own a Vacationer, it can take a fair bit of wind and waves. A couple years ago my son and I got caught in a gale, 5 foot plus waves. We were able to motor home with the sails stowed, and the 9.9 HP outboard. The wind and waves were quartering on the starboard bow. I got quite soaked in the cockpit, my son stayed dry in the cabin. That journey gave me a heathly respect for the weather, and a comfortable feeling for the vessel's capabilities.

Greg