BYYB Forums

Full Version: Thus the Work Proceeds: Be Home in time for Scupper
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

James Sanders

And thus the work proceeds;
the two tackles hoisting and lowering simultaneously;
both whale and windlass heaving, the heavers singing,
the blubber-room gentlemen coiling, the mates scarfing,
the ship straining, and all hands swearing occasionally,
by way of assuaging the general friction. —Herman Melville

Ahoy,
We have been at sickbay for awhile, but all is now better with shipbuilding once again on the immediate horizon. In fact, we completed our rail caps, and now are working on scuppers and hawse.
The kevel will have to wait a bit.

Here, then, are a few photos of some meager progress on our part, but even meager progress is better than no progress at all. Let's look at the scuppers first. Focus on amidships, and you should find several scuppers.

[Image: Scupper4.jpg]

For the benefit of others like myself, the first opening is not a scupper. That is the hawse, and we'll talk about the hawse a little later. For now, though, don't miss the scuppers, or you might have to eat later.

Here's another perspective. Maybe the scuppers will be a little clearer from this angle. The boat almost appears to be sailing by, doesn't it?
Well, I know you have to use a little imagination, but boatbuilding requires imagination.

[Image: Scupper5.jpg]

Maybe a photo from the stern might offer a better view of our nautical scuppers. I had thought about having scuppers all along the bulwark from stem to stern, but decided (for the moment at least) that the scuppers we now have might do nicely. After all, we want our boat to look like a true seagoing vessel.

[Image: Scupper6.jpg]

Here is a close-up of a scupper or two. At the moment, I am thinking of making some frame covers from each scupper. I really do not want the interior wood in the bulkwark to get wet.

[Image: Scupper7.jpg]

Now, for the hawse, just as I promised. The hawse pipe is much larger than a scupper, but a hawse could probably function as a scupper, I suppose. Here is a look at the hawse.

[Image: Scupper3.jpg]

Not too bad. We still have a lot of work to do on the bulwark, but everything seems to be coming together. The bulwark was a major task.
We made the bulwark hefty, I mean I saw that Stevenson video. You know, the one where the boat runs into the dock real hard. One good blow like that and your bulwark could turn into a cow.

Our bulwark is 1 5/8 thick. That way we did not need to have stanchions. Paul Riccelli said you could hit your toe on a stanchion while under sail. I did not ask him, but for what he said, I suppose his words were very much a personal confession.

[Image: Scupper1.jpg]

Back to the hawse, though. Here is my favorite picture. The hawse looks seaworthy and worthy of true nautical layout as well. Hawse, hawse, haswse!

[Image: Scupper2.jpg]
Wow Jim I really like those scuppers, they look totally salty, and where did you get that Hawse plate?
Glad to see you have healed, I hope all is well.
We missed you around here. :wink:

Brian.
I can envision the spray pouring out from them harmlessly in a blow!! Arrrgh!

Brian_Watford

she does allmost seem to be sailing by. Very nice pictures of a very nice boat. I especially like the hawse plates. they ought to handle the anchor rode nicely.
Glad you're feeling better Jim. Are you in the middle of finals now?

Maybe it's just me, but is the third scupper aft of the bow a little higher then the others? It appears this way in the first photo.

I wouldn't use a "frame" around the scuppers. The traditional method is to line them with lead or copper sheeting, such as used in roofing or rain gutters. It's formed to the shape of the inside of the cut out (often with a small flange), then removed, a bedding applied (polysulfide or Dolfinite) then it is tacked in place with small nails. A better method using modern materials would be to carefully tape off the inside and outside faces of the bulwark, then apply several coats of epoxy, thoroughly saturating the wood, then paint the inside of the scuppers to protect it from UV break down. This is often done in a complimentary color.
Jim? Is it really you?!?

Glad to see you're doin ok, and yer boat is still moving along. And looking real good.

Lookin forward to seein more progress Smile
Hey JIm,

Glad to hear from you again. She's looking real good!! Are you going to be ready for BEER next year?? 8)

David Metzker

I've eagerly awaited updates , James,,,and ne'er disappointment did I find. Tis a joy to behold, and I hope I'll be able to see her in person on the water some day!

James Sanders

Ahoy,

Thanks all for the kind words and wishes.

Craig, I'm not sure about BEER next year, but I could use a good beer right now, and I don't even drink.

Paul, you are almost right. The problem is with the fourth scupper, not the third.

Unfortunately, I relied too much on a book, and tried to keep the scuppers about 1/2 above the deck (as the book said), but when you do that with a bulwark like ours, your scuppers will soon look as if you were drinking Craig's beer as you did your work, and you were not even on a beer cruise.

I will repair everything later. All the remaining scuppers were placed on the bulwark with a template, and followed the sheer of the bulwark rather than the sheer of the deck.

Port looks very good. Starboard will need some special attention.

I'm considering the copper flashing. Somehow paint and epoxy leave me a bit unimpressed. After all, I do want the boat to look like the 1800's (as least as much as I can.) So, I will apply epoxy and paint and then over that perhaps there will be copper, high polished, bright, unmistakable copper. What might I put on the copper to keep away the tarnish?

Paul, I will really need your help on the rigging and mast. If our sails are too large, the boat will flip. If our sails are too small, our boat will be laughed to scorn by salts and landlubber alike.
Let the copper turn green, it looks great next to the bright woodwork. It's actually called patina when it changes color. That's not a bad sounding word when you consider the other word for it it tarnish. If someone asks about it just tell them you like the patina of the copper. That will shut 'em up!

Keith
Pages: 1 2