BYYB Forums

Full Version: Steel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I found some 1/8" thick steel bar 20' long that I can use to protect the bottom of my keel. The price is right, but the problem is transporting it. My original plan was to roll it into a hoop about 3' across and take it home in my tiny car. The guy at the shop wasn't certain I'd be able to roll it up that easily.

Can I, or do I need to dig my trailer out of the snow bank?
You may want to pull the trailer out. Although a 20' piece of steel is flexible, you probably won't be able to roll it into a 3' circle. Maybe you could cut it in half and strap it to your roof.

Keith
Cutting it in half is what I'm trying to avoid - I can't weld worth spit and my wife and kids aren't interested in learning.

kenconnors

just strap it to the roof of your car and tie red or orange rags at each end. if youre worried about someone impaling themselves behind you, Confusedhock: have someone follow you home.
you can secure it from each bumper as well

Milos Korenc

"Tiny car" here in Europe is a normal car. I would squeeze an ellipse and use two stringers on car boot. Toyota Yaris should pass.

[Image: bar.jpg]

Fixing it to the keel is what I consider a lot more difficult. How do you plan to do this? I am in some doubt to use screws right in the keel because of possible water penetration in the wood.
There have been a few others who have put metal strips on their keels with some success.

What I'm planning on doing is to first slightly round over the edges of my plywood keel with my router then apply a layer of fiberglass. I'll probably use 3M 5200 as a glue/bedding compound and then use 3/4" screws every 4" to apply it. I'll then paint over the whole thing with a couple of coats of metal/rust paint. I'm also figuring that this area will need to be touched up with paint every season.

I'm not too worried about water penetration since the boat will spend most of it's time on a trailer.

Thanks for your drawing Milos - it's a possible solution. I actually have a Toyota Echo hatchback which is the Canadian version of the Yaris - at least it was until Toyota dropped it and started selling a Yaris here. You might be able to answer this question - according to what I read, a Weekender is right at the towing limit for my car - do you see Yaris' towing similar loads there?

Milos Korenc

Weekender is very light. I see towing even heavier loads with such a car here. If you are concerned about load limits look at this...

[Image: lada.jpg]

Ray Frechette Jr

Why Steel?

Are you sailing in salt water?

Can you find Bronze?

If going in salt water and bronze is not available how about a sacrificial wood runner?

For attaching, pre drill holes and then seal holes with epoxy.

The install into sealed holes using a good bedding compound of some sort.
Ray - Nope - fresh water only. With eyebolts and a steel drain tube in the keel I figured to not mix metals as well.

Milos - I'm used to loading vehicles up to their limits. Here's a picture of my Jeep when I had it packed up for the BYYB messabout in 2004

[Image: 000856.jpg]
I knew Milos picture reminded me of something!
Pages: 1 2