BYYB Forums

Full Version: June 08
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Brian do you have all the spars cut or do you need help?

I have some excess and scrap wood that I need to run through a table saw if someone close by has one I can use, I sold my saw too soon. Some of the wood is colored Green if that matters. Some of the wood is 1/4" X 1 1/2" X 16'

Keath tell us what else needs to be done? :? :?:

Brian_Watford

Ed, I have about 70 sets of spars done. I'll pick up some more skewers and cut more. How many do we need? I have a table saw you are welcome to use. Just let me know how to get it to you. It isn't the best but it cuts.
You guys have fun getting together this June. I will be at the BEER cruise 1st full weekend then heading to Norway June 19th so I will miss the sailstice.

I do want to figure out a weekend we can do a distance cruise on Lake Hartwell. Lets see how far we can get in a 3 day weekend!
That sounds good Scott. It's gonna be hot there soon though, I know you remember that! We'll miss you in June but we'll raise a glass to you. I just built a treasure chest for the kids to find, we may have to let them keep the booty and us keep the chest for next years event. It was a pain in the a$$ to build.

Keith
Hey Keith I just came up with an idea for the treasure.
One thing we could put in there is a Treasure Island book. do you remember the bookmarks my wife made? all piraty and stuff. We could put one of those in the book as well. I will have to see the wife will make me up one. I think giving a kid a book is a great idea, especially Treasure Island.
The signet version in our books section is nice and small too.
[Image: 0451527046.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg]

Brian.
I had already thought of that book to add to the chest. We will be needing things to place inside the chest from all our members who can donate. The chest is about 10x17x9 high so we'll have some room to fill. If anyone has something they can add please bring it along

Keith
I have a checked and I won't be able to make it to this one. I am crewing on a friend's boat in a race next weekend. I would skip it, but the regular skipper is skipping already and we're in the lead! (It's so much more convenient to be losing.) :?

Brian_Watford

I have gobs of Marti Gras beads if that will help. They would make good filler anyway.
Guys, A set of the free Three in One plans might be a good starter for new builders. The kids can nag dad to build one. There is als a set of plans for a little play sail boat made around an inner tube that are on one of the free sites featuring the old PM and PS designs from the 50's. I can't remember the name. I gave a set to a neighbor who is a bub scout master and his kids made some. Real simple but inner tubes may be hard to find now.
I you are thinking about a sailboat that is cheap and easy to build, take a look at this YouTube video for a DIY catamaran. Easy to source materials and dirt cheap. It's made essentially from two lengths of PVC with caps on one end and traffic cones on the other (with the bases cut off) and a plywood platform between. The sail can be polytarp or Visqueen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPog14El4H0
Pages: 1 2