BYYB Forums

Full Version: Bow Eye Placement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I may have a slight problem here.

I did some measuring and the bottom of my bow eye is only about 4" above the bottom of the hull.

I put this rather substantial welded eye in for docking and winching and am pretty reluctant to have to move it. The plan currently is to put a strip of 1/8" steel along the bottom of the keel and up the front of the stem (those who have seen me sail will know why). The eye will go through that and I'll seal up the hole well. I placed it this low as I had read that the designed location for the big hole through the stem was too high for normal winching, and this is the highest that this length of eye-bolt (the longest I could find) would go completely through the stem.

My concern is that the eye will be too low for effective winching and that it would sit in the water during normal sailing.

Opinions?
I used a threaded rod and a female threaded eye for mine. I too couldnt find an eye bolt long enough to get through my keel. I think it's only about 4" above the waterline as well. It's been a problem loading the boat on the trailer because I have to lift the bow of the boat to get the eye over the bow roller. Something I still have to work on. Good luck

Keith