BYYB Forums

Full Version: New Member from Italy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

My name is Gianluigi and I live in North Italy near the widest and deepest Italian lake, Lago di Garda. I have a very basic sailboat experience (since now I took only two lesson when I applied for navigation licence), but I am a quite expert windsurfer, that remain  absolutely my favourite water sport.

I started my Weekender construction at the end of March 2009. In this moment the external lower part (untill first rubrails) is ready and painted, the upper is fiberglassed while inside of the cabin and ofthe front bay there is still at raw wood state.

This is basically my first real boat contruction (last summer I built a “One sheet Skiff” just for training), therefore I have introduced very few modification to the original design.
One common variation is the employ of epoxy resin for fiberglassing.
Another quite usual personalization is in the rudder wheel set up. I maintained the wheel, but I made the rudder box detachable from the tiller (in order keep overall length shorter) and I found my way to make a “better” tensioning system. When all this will be tested I’ll come back to you with some pictures.
I increased the cabin heigth (quite common, I think) and also the sides (not so common). I did this last simply because I had available larger plywood panels and I decided to keep the same waterline and to raise a little gunwales from the deck.
I built also  a simple hollow mast. May original intention was to use a standard mast cut off from stock, but someone adviced my to cut the rough beam in two longitudinal parts and then to joint them upside-down. This would have preserved mast from natural deformations, being internal stresses counterbalanced.
Once I had the two halves at my sight I had the idea to take the router and to make a grove in both sides for the whole length. I don’t really know if I will never need the channel inside, nor if it is now too weak (I used Douglas fir wood), but I did in this way.

In the last weeks I read in these forums about buoyancy.
I noted this potential problem since I saw drawings the first time. I thought to solve it by filling seats back with Cola and Mineral water PET bottles, but when time to close seats backs came (and after hundreds of bottles drinken) I decided else.
I could not rely on bottles that I could not inspect and that could be damaged by sun heat or by ice. I didn’t want also to accept to hear  loose bottles move around nor that their expansion cause some crack in the seats backs. So I threw them away and I opened two small windows in the cabin bulkhead that made spaces behind seats back visible for inspection an  available for long parts, such as paddles, oars etc. .  Being the access to these rooms from cabin, they maintain buoyancy until water fill the cabin, it is  therefore much better than the “open seat back” configuration.
In this way the deck bottom remain accessible for future equipments bolting and, of course,  for the splash coaming screwing that has recently troubled another member.
Unfortunately once deck and  hull sides are attached to the bulkhead, these cuts become difficult, so I would suggest to include these windows in the original bulkhead drawing and to cut them soon, they can eventually be closed later bolting over two plywood lids.

I’m therefore intentioned to preserve instead buoyancy by a buoyancy bag tied down behind the lazarete: The type used for  Optimists seems to be suitable, but a small hauling roll is also OK and it can result useful in many other occasions.
The same I will probably do also in the forward bay, but I’m not sure about, because I’m considering to fill it with the cheap spray foam sold in department stores. I think that it is not completely suitable for this purpose, because it probably becomes a sponge after long lasting  immersion, nevertheless in case of  sudden capsizes it works well.

Regards
Gianluigi
Ciao Gianluigi,
I'd use caution with the spray foam, as you mentioned It'll soak up water almost as well as a sponge. It is hard to dry it out completely after it's been soaked. That trapped water will likely result in damage to the wood behind the seats. I tried to fill a plastic bag with the foam, in hopes that it would expand, filling the areas behind the seats, ans stay waterproof. Problem was that it needs exposure to air to chemically expand, all I ended up with was a garbage bag of useless foam goo. I believe you need a closed cell type of foam to have success.

I placed pool noodles, they are long tubes about a meter in length, and 10-15 centimeters in diameter, made of foam. I'm not sure if they are available in Europe. I stuffed several of them behind the seats of my Vacationer, hope I never have to test their buoyant qualities for real. I'm comforted in the fact that they will offer some protection, and will not leak.  

Greg
Greetings Gianluigi,

After you finish building your weekender and have accumulated some sailing experience, you must sail down to the southern end of Lago di Garda to the town of Sirmione on that little finger of land that sticks out into the lake and have someone on another boat take a few photographs of you sailing your Weekender with Scaligero Castle as a backdrop.  The photo will be fabulous.

Cheers,
Tom
Ciao, Gianluigi.

I had a great sail on Garda out of Salo. A beautiful lake! If I get a Weekender built here in Zurich, we should get together.

Mike
Tom,
Sirmione is beautiful, but the whole lake beautiful! There are castles and towers all around. Also the name of "Garda" (that by the way is the name of a town on the east coast) come from longobard "Ward" that means guard.
In spite of its beautiful nature and landscape, because of its location near the way to Germany, it has alway been theatre of bloody battles.

Regarding sailing to Sirmione, I wrote that my sailboat experience is neglegible at the moment. I live in Riva del Garda that is  the northest point of the lake (No,I didn't wrote this...) and I fear that I could not be able to sail back home. Probably I will do when I'll purchase a motor, but don't worry that I'll post beautiful pictures anyway!

Mike,
you and all other members are welcome! It would be a pleasure for me to learn Weekender sailing secrets from you...

Gianluigi