BYYB Forums

Full Version: Little Spars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have cut all the little sails we will need in June . Now we need a few folks willing to cut 600 spars of various lengths from bamboo skewers. Do we have any volunteers :?:

David Metzker

I'd be happy to help,,,where can I get the skewers, and what lengths?
David; we are going to need 100 each of the following: mast- 7 1/2", boom- 5 1/2", gaff- 3 1/2", club foot- 4", bow sprit- 4", mainsheet post- 1". The bamboo skewers can be found at the grocery store I think. Keath can tell you more about this than I can, this is his design. Let me know how many of these you want to make and which ones and I will start on the rest if no one else wants to help.

Brian_Watford

I got 12 inch skewers at Publix. I have cut 50 sets of spars so far. The skewers I got came in packs of 100 and cost about $2.00 per pack.
Thanks for the help guys, I'll be cutting the hulls and keels soon. For the building day we'll be needing some hotmelt glue guns and glue, scotch tape to attach the sails embroidery thread and maybe some large washers for the kids that don't bring their 4 quarters for ballast. We'll also be needing 1/8" braided nylon line for knot tying classes and as much duct tape as anyone can bring for the cardboard boat races. If anyone has any scrap wood that they can bring such as 2x4 and long strips of 3/4" to use as framing for the cardboard boats we can put it to good use. We can also use hand saws and box cutting knives to aid in the construction. Drills and small bits will also be needed for drilling the models for the spars. The kids will also be needing hammers and we might want to provide safety glasses as well, bring em if you got em.
I'm going to be building a treasure chest that will be hidden in the park for a luck kid to find. We need to fill it with as much "treasure" that we can find. If you can bring anything with you to add the the chest please help us out.

I'll come up with more requests as they come to mind so please check back later

Keith
I'll gather whatever I can get my hands on Keith.
I plan on making some paddles for the cardboard boat races. How many do you think I should make?

Brian.