BYYB Forums

Full Version: Back from Cedar Keys...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Had an absolutely wonderful time at Cedar Keys mess-about. There were 50+ boats there with a mixture of homebuilt and the more interesting production boats. Best yet, everyone sailed most of the day with a nice strong ocean breeze driving the fleet all over the beautiful keys. Unfortunately, there were so many people that I didn't get the opportunity to talk to everyone... they need to add name-tags or something just to help. You have to consider attending this event next year!

Little Gem attracted a lot of attention and, once again, lived up to her name. Everyone noted how fast a boat she is with the Sea Pearls (21' boat) only able to pass slowly. On Friday I averaged 5.20 knots with a few bursts up to 5.8 knots (GPS said even higher but I figure those were false readings). Amazing speed for a 12' boat! Matt Layden was highly encouraging me to use her for the Everglades Challenge!

I slept on the boat off a somewhat exposed beach for two nights...well tried to sleep. The wind kicked up to 30mph + both nights and the tide pulled me broadside to the waves which really tossed me about. Lack of sleep didn't help meeting everyone btw. However, it did give me confidence in anchoring in rougher conditions.

My camera died at the beginning of the trip but here is a link to pictures: http://www.flwwp.com/gallery2/v/Small+Boat+Messabout/

[Image: Cedar+Key+08+026.jpg]
Looks like a good time was had by all! Thanks for the photos.

Brian_Watford

Very nice pictures. That looks like a great time.
Scott it looks like Y'all had a great time, thanks for sharing. where about is cedar key at in FLA?

Brian.
South to Gainsville then head pretty much due west. Really neat little town with lots of good sailing territory for us. Pensacola area is still prettier with crystal clear water and white sands. I would love to to a get-together in St Josephs Bay. There is a great little state park there and a nice big bay to sail our boats in.
I lived in Columbus Ga for about 15 years off and on and in the early to mid seventies I used to do bicycle tours down to the gulf. I used to cruise between Port st. Joe and Pensacola mostly. I sure do miss that area and those pics look like some excellent sailing going on. Lately I've been looking into my crystal ball and I'm seeing the potential of taking my weekender around the country to wherever looks good and just hang and sail for a while. Then, pack it up and hit another spot. I'm just over five years out from retirement and this is all within the realm of possiblilites. Your pictures are feeding my fantasy!!
There was a little state park I used to camp at . I think it was called
Grayton Beach State parkif I'm not mistaken. Sounds like you were very close to that park.
Tom, Graton Beach is off 30A east of Destin a few miles. Nice area. Scott was over near Big Bend.