BYYB Forums

Full Version: New design
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This may not go anywhere, but I have been kicking this idea around for a while now. Now that I have learned ( :roll: ) CAD, I have a way to accurately draw out this idea. It has some stumbling points, but I am looking for suggestions and ideas.

[Image: normal_Kayak~0.jpg]

Please excuse the poor image quality. I will be learning how to improve that next semester Tongue
Brit, I can't tell much from the drawing but general observations. The amas appear to have their beam too far forward, the cross beams look pretty delicate so they'd have to be made out of something quite strong (carbon?), the sail plan is well undersized considering the amount of initial stability you'll have, the rudder appears woefully small and the main hull could use some fineness, especially it's entry.

Besides myself, I only know of a few folks here that could offer some guide on your concept. As a rule, when working on your first few designs (actually the first several) it's best to stay close to well established types or models, until you get your feet wet.

Another discussion forum which I frequent is called BoatDesign.net. This would be the place to take this for suggestions and observations. There's a large number of designers, engineers and experienced boat nuts there. Post in the "design" section. I'm known as PAR over there (as I was once here). Conversations can get pretty developed and thick reading if you're not well versed in design, but they'll nurse you along if you ask.

Unlike here and over a Frank's site (MessingAbout) the folks there can be testy sometimes, even harsh, but it's all intended to help for the most part. A few are just old men with nothing better to do then complain about how nice it was in the good old days. When and if these appear, just take them with a grain of salt and move on to the constructive aspects of the site. Now the site is quite large, with over 25,000 members, over 20,000 threads and about a quarter of a million different posts, including my 2,300 or so. There you'll be talking with professionals with full understanding of design.

If you get beat up, then you can come back to your friends over here with a new tale to spin on understanding BYYB ears.
Brit

Check out CLC’s web site, they sell a sail kit for kayaks it may give you some ideas.
I would shy away from gaff rig. Take a look at their example sail plan.
Also you can check out Kfoundry software. It’s free and powerful kayak design software.

Have Fun
Karl

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/sailb...ILRIG.html

http://www.blueheronkayaks.com/kayak/index.html
I've always been intrigued by Polynesian sailing canoes. I have recently come across Gary Dierking of New Zealand that has done a fair amount of work with them. He has a web site: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/garyd He has also written a book and sells plans. I plan to get his book and try one of his boats.
those are some awesome links...definately some good research points.

Paul, the amas i have pictured are 8' long, the kayak is 14'. After looking at some different designs, 10' amas are probably in order.

Anyone ever consider LVL for structural members?
It took some doin', but I finally got some good advice on this design. I will be cutting out forms for the amas very soon, and will post progress as it occurs.