BYYB Forums

Full Version: Handling characteristics on different tacks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Greetings Paul,

I think I like your tree better than mine. Mine goes back through names like Tcacik and Uhas only to get lost on the plains of Hungary. Yep, I am probably one of Attila’s hoard. Still, I have a penchant for drawing and detail, and have been told by many people that I should have pursued art for a living. Maybe during one of those raids into northern Italy, they brought someone back … who knows. How did that castle get destroyed? I guess if you need someone for pillage and plunder, I’m your guy. :wink:

Cheers,
Tom
Our understanding is the castle fell into disrepair after several sieges (it would seem the Riccelli hard headedness is a genetic trait), in the middle ages. The stone work was carried off by the locals to make walls and homes, etc. over time.

One of the benefits of using good rigging pieces and particularly wire is the rig stays the same once it's tuned. Marking turnbuckles so setup is easy can insure she sails the same each time.

Most only have to tune their rig once a season, to account for the stretch of the previous season. If you've got deadeyes, lanyards and the lot, you're pretty much out of luck, as it's a continuous battle to keep things the way they should be.

When "wire rope" first appeared in yachting circles, it swept through every fleet in a matter of a few years. This is how dramatic a difference it made over man made materials. As soon as metal tangs and "rigging screws" (turnbuckles) showed up, it too was adopted wholesale. These two things are about the only things in yacht design to gain world wide acceptance within a few years. This is how big an improvement they made over previous arrangements. Even synthetic sail cloth was doubted for many decades, but eventually the jury came in on this stuff too and cotton or flax is relegated to those purists, that desire going slower then necessary, enjoy the smell of mildew, rotting fabric and reefing sail cloth that gains three times it weight when wet.
Get your muckaluck off the rudder pedal, or put them on both 8) 8)
Ok I have to ask... how does one research the lineage? Is there a company that does it? Do you have to joing the Church of Latter Day Saints? I don't think I'd find out much, other then my ancestors were sea raiders. I am 90% Norwegian.
Don't worry Craig, we'll be wearing mukluks soon enough. I flew over Greg's slip today and saw Ginny Rae and Polar Dip hanging in there on the water, but it was hard to see them in the blowing snow and ice pellets.
It's that time of year. My pool is down to 82F
Pages: 1 2 3