BYYB Forums

Full Version: Interesting Boat via GoogleMaps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

rolandblais

I was perusing google maps the other day, and looking at the tip of the Baja peninsula. While looking around the harbor I spotted this interesting sailboat.

Here's the link. I wonder what kind of boat it is?

Peace,
Roland

Now that is a strange thing isn't it.  Can'tmake out what she is. Looks like something near the starboard bow and amidships in the water?????

aaron_stokes

looks like i am not the only one traveling via google. i just visited the eifel tower the other day (i know i killed ifle). and that big house the queen lives in on douning street. some day i may fly to some of these awsom places but for now, i am reduced to living in the google maps universe.

i wish we could get a profile of that boat. it looks very cool. perhaps asian?
Greetings Aaron,

You’ve no doubt hear the saying … “If you travel long enough, you will meet yourself.”  It’s true.  Even on google maps.  I found myself in this photo …

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&z=20&t...,-87.98835

This photo was taken late in the day on Sunday, August 3rd, 2008, at the Tour of Elk Grove during the Men’s Professional Criterium, where the first place prize was worth $40,000 and the overall title was worth $70,000.  Yes, there be money in bicycle racing.  I’m standing in the semi-circle group in the exact center of the photo with Vince, Mikey, Jeff, and Jim.  The second group of professional riders has just flown by traveling west to east up Elk Grove Blvd at about 30 mph.  If you scroll the map east and west along Elk Grove Blvd, you will eventually see the other two groups of riders along with several team cars chasing along.  Jim and I, along with John, James, and Bob had won our stage race in a team criterium earlier in the day and we were soaking up the atmosphere after a victorious campaign.   

By the way, you can recall anything in google maps if you encode the link like the one above where the crap after the ? and separated by &s means …

hl=en        Language = English
z=20        Zoom level = maximum (sometimes the zoom only goes to 18)
t=k          Type of map, k = satellite
ll=lon,lat    longitude and latitude.

Cheers,
Tom

rolandblais

Quote:I found myself in this photo …

That's pretty cool. I've never found myself, but I have found my boat. See attached for definitions of the smudges.

I saw my truck in the parking lot at work - I'm in two places at once. ;-)

I also just noticed that in google earth, you can zoom in a bit closer. I attached a second pic for comparison (I resized the first pic 200%).

I was also able to zoom into my kids backyard close enough to see the playhouses, the kiddie pool, and maybe one of them running around in the backyard. From google maps, I was able to use street view to zoom into the driveway. Kind of cool and scary at the same time...

Peace,
Roland

that is really cool and here i thought i was the only GE vacationer, on my website i have a google earth map for my website and u can see the deck on my boat on my driveway which was only there for like a day or 2

lol

Brian
(12-15-2008, 10:46 AM)rolandblais link Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder what kind of boat it is?

When I was in Cabo San Lucas there was a really strange tour boat. It claimed to be a a Pirate boat. I saw many tourists taking rides on it, but I never saw any sails set on it. I suspect that is what you got from over head. I found a picture of it.

[Image: buccaneer-boat.jpg]
Here's a link: http://www.loscabosguide.com/buccaneerqueen/

rolandblais

Excellent work! I bet that's exactly what that is.
Yeah I think your right, at closer inspection they do look alot alike.
good work inspector Wink

Brian.
Greetings all,

I hate to rain on your parade, but, I don’t think your mystery boat is the “pirate ship” Buccaneer Queen.

Judging from the length and orientation of the shadows, the photo was taken very early in the morning.  Pirates don’t get up that early. 

The boat is too beamy (2.5:1) to be your pirate ship (+4:1).  Here’s a better photo of the Buccaneer Queen that shows just how long and skinny she really is …

[attachment=1]

There appears to be a boomkin hanging off the stern to support the mizzen stay.  Ships (pirate or otherwise) do not use boomkins.  Boomkins typically show up on smaller boats (under 50ft) where the boat is just not long enough to route a proper back stay. 

I can only count two masts, not three.  I’d guess the rig is a top-sail ketch.

If you want to go with the pirate theme in a top-sail ketch, then I would suggest something like the Hawaiian Chief …
[attachment=2]
Or the Royalist … 
[attachment=3]

But even those are too big to be your ketch.

It might be this boat …
[attachment=4]

Enjoy,
Tom
Pages: 1 2