BYYB Forums

Full Version: Rudder questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am ready to assemble the rudder in the rudder box. I noticed that when I pivot the rudder, the notched parts don't seem to touch or rest against the spacers. Are they supposed to? If so, I guess I need to shape the rudder and place the spacers so that they do. According to the drawing, it looks like the notched areas do not touch the spacers so as to allow a rope to pull the rudder. I didn't see any good photos to go by.
The space(s) are to allow the rope to pull the rudder up or down and not bind the rope along the way. Keep on going, "Git 'er done!" You may want to check the clearance on the shaft however to be certain that the rudder is not going to "wobble" or shake on the shaft. Couple little plastic spacers on either side keep things centered and help a bunch.
Cool. Got it. Thank you.
You could try a bungee cord instead of a line, if you drag bottom, the rudder just kicks up, and there will be less damage to the rudder.

Mike
I may do the bungee chord thing...works on many other similar boats. Thanks for the advice.