BYYB Forums

Full Version: pintles and gudgeons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Dustin Newkirk

I'm having a heck of a time finding a pintle and gudgeon set for Luna. I need a flat gudgeon (or pintle) for the rudder side, not the standard U shape.

I have found one set that will work, but at $69 for a small flat rudder gudgeon? o_O

Anyone have any ideas? Tongue
Schaefer part no. 81-41 (medium duty 1/2" hole), 81-01 (light duty, 5/16" hole), 81-46 (heavy duty, 1/2" hole). Ronstan part no. RF 2510 (5/16" hole, nylon). RWO part no. RO 730 (stamped S.S., 5/16" hole). Holt Allen part no. HA 420 (5/16" hole, nylon I think).

The Ronstan parts are the most precise.
Go look at the duckworksmagazine.com's online store.

Dustin Newkirk

Thanks for the help, I've seen the Ronstan parts, but I'd rather have 4 holes.

The duckworks store is great, got some small hatch covers for airing out my compartments, but I need a flat gudgeon and a flat pintle. Can you bend those rudder pintles out? The kayak gudgeons say they're bendable. Maybe I could just get 2 sets of gudgeons and use a bolt inbetween.

I'm finding the hard part is the flat pintle. If I can find a 4 hole then I'd jump on it. So my question now is, are 2 holes going to be strong enough to hold to the transom/rudder for my dinghy?
Yep, more strength then you need, unless you start backing down into docks and other boats or such.

If truly concerned then through bolt the sucker. When ever in doubt about how strong the fastening is, through bolt it, preferably with a big 'ol backing plate, at least twice the foot print of what is being held on (bigger is better, just ask your wife).