BYYB Forums

Full Version: New again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks,

I suppose I am new again.  I was on here quite a bit in the late 90's and early 00's.  Re-built a Weekender and sent her on to a better place years ago.  I have been feeling the old boat building itch a little bit lately so I thought I would pop in and say hello again.  I see a lot of familiar names, good to know some of the people I remember are still around.

Well I guess I will see you around.

Thanks,
Jon
Welcome back Jon. We had a cyber attack a few years back and lost quite a bit of previously archived threads. It was so bad that the site had to be disassembled and reassembled, which is why you had to re-join.

The building bug is a life long difficulty. My first was when I was a young teenager and I've built many since. The only cure is to build, though some medications have shown promise in recent years, but they also turn you into a couch potato. So, take your pick . . .
Thanks Paul. Shame about the cyber attack. Yeah, it's just another example of how IT people are destroying the world. As an IT guy I can say that with a clean conscience.

I had a lot of fun times here dreaming about boats back in the day.  I was a member of the BYYB for a while as well, still have a blue and white pennant someplace, probably in my tool box with a little sawdust on it.  I am pretty darn sure I was poking around in here when 911 happenned, come to think of it.

Met Angie in Knoxville TN, when she was there and hers was the first Weekender I saw in person. It hadn't been glassed yet at the time. I've also met a couple of nice folks in Charleston, SC with some fine Weekenders.

I picked my Weekender up full of rainwater and covered with rotting leaves in a backyard in Baltimore, MD.  I have since learned that the 'free boats' are by far the most expensive.  I just about had to replace every stick of lumber in it because of rot and insects. In the end the military sent me away and my weekender would spend a couple of years turtle in my parents back yard. Even though she was glassed and painted inside and out I would lose her keel from stem to stern to rot and insect infestation. In my opinion with her backbone gone it was more humane to put her down and start fresh some day. So I broke her up and burned her, it was bittersweet.

So fast forward a couple of years and I have the itch again, I hope the folks of this community will be understanding of me having to send my old boat to the next world, I sent her out in style. At the time she was in such bad shape that I couldn't in good conscience even give her away.  I felt she might get some nice person hurt and I wouldn't want that to happen.  
I see about 100 boats a year that are in this condition. The only thing you can do is drag them to the land fill or over to the burn pile. Nothing to feel bad about, this is the natural course of things and it's going to happen to you some day too, so be nice to your kids, as they'll be picking your nursing home and urn . . .
HAHAHA! This is getting funny. Welcome Jon Ferguson from tennessee. I hope to see another blog of photos soon because I ate all them that exist already!
Ahoy and Welcome Back Jon, Yeah the attack on our site was brutal, but we rebuilt her and are better stronger and definetly more aware of our internet surrounding's.

Got an itch?
You definetly need to build again then.  ;D

Good to se you backmate.

P.S. oh yeah and as for the kid's i wanna be put in me old wooden boat doused with flamables, set sail, and hit with a flaming arrow to be burned to the waterline and sent to valhala.
Brian, I looked into something similar, being set adrift, with the sails, rig and tiller set to an auto pilot. The idea was to sail away from the east coast, until the garboard plug let in enough water to sink her. The boat was to be a special build, called "Final Anchorage" and a small gaff sloop, maybe 12' to 14' on deck. I even timed out how long a 1/4" hole in the garboard drain, would take to upset the boat's stability (it would capsize then sink, if permitted to fill underway).

The short of it is, you can do it, but it's not cheap and don't even think about trying it off one of our beaches. Seems the USCG has a problem with bodies in boats, near shore for some reason. With proper permitting (read many thousands of dollars), you can tow or deck freight a small boat, past the territorial limit, then lower the body, secure and cast off. Hell, I think you can even have the Navy use you as target practice, but this cost big bucks too. I just don't like the idea of being taken out, by an 18 year old manning a 5" deck gun.

Now, after checking a costing things out, maybe I'll build a model of Final Anchorage . Have my ashes used as part of the ballast, then who's to give someone a hard time for sailing their model boat in the ocean. It would be wise to keep your moth shut about what's in the boat.
(04-08-2011, 06:27 AM)Brian Walters link Wrote: [ -> ]P.S. oh yeah and as for the kid's i wanna be put in me old wooden boat doused with flamables, set sail, and hit with a flaming arrow to be burned to the waterline and sent to valhala.

You need a sword in your hand to make it to valhalla.  Don't forget the sword. 
Heya chris, I got 1 fer each hand and a dirk fer me belt  ;D

You have to pay them to bury at sea? past the territorial limmit? I have another idea,lol seal the cabin, set the sail for antarctica, it will be like cheap cryogenic's lol.