BYYB Forums

Full Version: Questions on the dimensions/drawings for rudder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have some pretty specific questions on the rudder and rudder box drawings/dimensions for the weekender.

Figure 16 (page 23) for the rudder box. I suspect that the 4 inch dimension toward the top of the drawing is supposed to depict the point where the 68 degree straight line starts the curve...but the picture depicts the 4" dimension a little past this point. ???? The same is true with the bottom of the drawing, where the 10" vertical line meets the bottom of the drawing a little to the right of the spot where the straight line and curve area begins. ????

For the rudder box curves (1 convex and 1 concave), there really is no dimensions or anything to indicate how to loft the curve. Are you supposed to freehand it? I am tempted to just blow up the picture on the copier to actual size and then copy the curves.

Questions on the Rudder now. I am having a tough time on the 8" and 4" radius. It shows a couple lines that appear to represent the middle of the radius? I'm kinda lost here. I have the same issue with the top of the rudder (left side of drawing). There appears to be no guideance on the radius. Also, at the bottom of the picture and to the left, it shows a 9" dimension then you are supposed to draw a line downward and to the left (angle) but gives no dimension. Again, I am thinking of using a copier and blowing it up then tracing.

Part of me wants to rough cut it all, then as I get closer to assembly, possibly figure out shapes then?

Obviously I am afraid of screwing it up.

On another note, do many people glass the rudder and/or rudder box?
On the Vacationer the plans were similar. Just use your artistic talent and make it look like you want it. As far as glassing the rudder, I did glass mine and have had no problems with it. I have seen several broken rudders that our members have posted here. If you get in a good blow the forces on the rudder can be very strong and split your rudder in half. It could become very dangerous for you and your passengers. Glass it up and be safer. You might even consider making it from plywood to make it even less likely to break. The rudder box will also get the strong forces on it so you may want to glass it as well and build it strong

Keith