BYYB Forums

Full Version: Calling Scott Widmier
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Scott how are you?
I just wanted to tell you that you sure were right about somthing.
Everyday I think about a post you made a long time ago to me. Back when I first began this project..
You had told me that I was making progress and it was showing but that I would hit a point where I would be working alot and show little progress.
Now, I thought I knew what you were talking about (way back then).
But man do I realize (in spades) what you were saying now.
I just thought I would mention that to you. Thanks for the warning Big Grin

Brian.
Brian, I have hit that point many times in my projects but I have learned how to deal with it. First, I listen to good books on tape from audible.com and I find I am less anxious to finish before the book is done. Second, I narrow my focus to the little bit or part I am working on and take a little extra time to get it done right. The second point probably seems contradictory but I find if I rush making a small bit it tends to be rough and I don't really like looking at it. In fact, I begin to resent the misshapen little bit and the time it took me to make it. In contrast, a little extra time and attention creates a bit that I can feel good at and want to look at and then realize that you have made progress on the boat.

On my C12 I made three sets of gaff jaws and one gaff saddle. My first set of jaws were nice curvy and out of beautiful mahogony. Unfortunately, I didn't take the time to measure and they were a bit narrow for the diameter of the mast and, when I went to take them off to adjust, they broke. I quickly made an ugly pair of plywood jaws that, because of the angle of the gaff and the straightness of the jaws themselves, didn't work. Then I took off on a gaff saddle building fantasy that ended with a lot of frustration and ultimately failed. I finally ended up taking the time to measure and made a new set of gaff jaws out of mahogony with the traditional shape and they worked wonderfully and I even had some folks at the Glen-L gathering taking pictures just of the jaws. My point is not taking the time to get the jaws right (which in the end took my 3 hours) cost me many days of frustration and disappointment.

[Image: 698501364503_0_BG.jpg]
Wow but how gorgeous they are Scott. Man they look good.
You are absolutely right about that, I have learned to stop look and remeasure, I have done stuff to the boat and at some point later realized that it was messed up and had to redo it all over. So hurrying up ends up taking much more time and effort that doing it right the first time for sure.
I like the Gaff saddle do you think that might work on the vacationer for the gaff? I plan on gaffing my boom as well.

Brian.
Problem with the saddle was it wouldn't slide freely. I read the Gaff Rig handbook and made some adjustments but it still didn't slide well and the aluminum began bending. I think it would work on the boom though since that doesn't need to slide up and down the mast as much as the Gaff.

David Metzker

dang,,,Wait a cotton pickin minute,,,onone EVER said a dang thing about measuring before,,,goodgollygum, I gotta start all over,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
No No, not just measuring but remeasuring. You see I never did any kind of woodworking before and made some pretty big mistakes when I first began this project. and wasted alot of time correcting these things. Quite a humbling experiance acctually.
So your going to pick up a weekender today, thats fantastic. I hope I get a chance to sail with you. how far is Raleigh N.C. from Columbia S.C. (in hours) maybe when I get this monster done we can get together for a sail.

Brian.

David Metzker

It took me 4 1/2 hours to get to just south of Charleston,,,but that was without EVER seeing Smokey in SC, so I was able to get in small crowds rolling at 80-85 mph. Of course, only in small mileage bursts. There are always those brave folks who set thier cruise controls to a law breaking 73, 3 mph above the legal limit of 70. And of course, since they are speeding, they have to move over to the passing lane to get past the blue haired old women doing exactly the speed limit. And after a breathtaking 4 to 5 minutes, they finally pass those old ladies and get back to the relative safety of the right lane! :?
Have you ever sailed Santee Cooper, Brian? Be kinda cool to troll some big shiners off the stern of a weekender under sail, and catch a 20 lb striper! Confusedhock: Big Grin
I have a fair amount of work to do on my weekender >ooooooh,,,lemme hear that again,,,my weekender<Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh>< before she's ready to sail,,,how much depends whether I can talk myself into getting her into just sailing condition, or true "BBL"
No I've never sailed on it but I did Kayak it once. From my experience, and from what gps and folks tell me. There is a lot of submerged trees and chained logs, so it may be rough on a wooden boat, which kind of stinks because it is soo huge, And so close(about 15 min). But there is one just north of me called lake wateree that is deep and clear and supposed to be good for sailing on(about 30 min's away).
I am about 2 hours nw of Charleston, And I am about three hours from charlotte N.C.
Hows she look? did you pick her up?

Brian.