BYYB Forums

Full Version: New Member
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

ian clark

Craig, so y'all are fixing' to mosey to the cruisin' grounds in Fla. You know being Irish and Canadian, the name of that cruise really attracts me. Now if only I could have mixed some German in there I could probably have drunk Long John Silver into the scuppers. :lol:
If you would take a look at the posting from Paul he is talking about the robustness of these boats as drawn, and adds "ask Craig". That sounds like you might have some interesting comment :?:
Ian.
Are we talking about a raised and widened cabin, or a true raised deck?

The difference is between an ugly boat and a potentially beautiful one.

Sam Crocker drew some very pretty raised deck designs ...

[Image: 006_sailing.jpg]
Check out http://www.crockersboatyard.com/

My favorite is the Stone Horse, which is about the same size as a vacationer. Eday and Duff cranked out about 150 of them in fiberglass a few decades ago, and are toying with the idea of putting the boat back into production, or so says the news blurb at http://www.edeyandduff.com/news.html . But a new one from Edey & Duff is likely to set you back $50k. I got to sit in their Joel White designed Sakonnet 23 when they came to Strictly Sail at Navy Pier and was very impressed with the build quality. Old time yatch quality, but $50k none-the-less.

Google ["Stone Horse" Edey Duff] and you should be able to find photos of an older one for sale.

Here's a similar boat ...

http://www.engl.niu.edu/mday/rosy.html

If you go this route, be sure to sweep the lower rub rail from the rear deck level up to the bow as Crocker did in his designs. It breaks up the slabby sides of the boat and gives the illusion of a separate cabin, especially if two colors of paint are chosen for above and below the rail.

Cheers,
Tom

ian clark

Tom, yes I have always thought that I would love to someday own a raised-deck boat, certainly those two are truly beautiful examples. If you have ever read any of Maurice Griffiths books, and he designed several beauties with raised decks, his only caution was that they sometimes tend to blow about the place because of the additional windage up for'rad.
No this is not my plan. This design already has a fairly high freeboard at the bow, so I might just run into that problem, and on this design I'm not sure it would look right. What I am planning to do is widen the cabin to the sides and square off the front, giving a "sunken" foredeck. (You can sit on the coachroof, with your feet down, for anchoring or tending the foresail etc). So it is not a true raised deck.
Thanks for the input. Wish I had a spare $50grand and a bigger towing vehicle :lol:
Cheers,
Ian.

ian clark

Paul, I goofed in the calculation, put the decimal in the wrong place. I will actually only be adding 6 pounds (not 60 ). I knew it sounded off at the time.
Ian.

ian clark

Tom, you certainly triggered something in my imagination that I just couldn't leave it alone. So I redrew the modification as a true full raised deck. It litterally looked like a submarine, even if I actually lowered the headroom below the original. Soooooo..... Sad
I guess all this chatter should really belong on some other forum nt "Introductions". I do really appreciate all the comments.
Ian.
I have a fair amount of experience designing raised deck boats and I can tell you it's much more difficult to get a broken sheer (raised deck) boat to look good then a conventional sheer. There are a number of "conventions" we can rely on for "shaping" the sheer, but the biggest one to remember is the boat has two sheers, the lower and the higher, broken element. The lower one has to be suited for a broken sheer or it'll look silly.

A continuous sheer (common traditional type) usually has much more sweep (belly) to it and this belly is located further aft then on a broken deck boat.

Here are two of my broken sheer designs, both substantially larger then a Vacationer. Wetlander's sheer is just about right, with the belly's deep point being nearly midship, which is not the case for a continuous sheer. Commonly a regular sheer has it's lowest point at 70 to 80% aft of the stem.

[Image: 2040RYD-48.jpg]

Lass's sheer is a bit of a compromise, having her lowest point further aft then desirable, but I needed headroom below decks.

[Image: 2040RYD-Lass.jpg]

The common element is the lower sheer shape and location. To make a broken sheer look right (lots of trial and error included) you need to have the lower sheer's belly further forward then seems natural if it was a conventional sheer boat.

On Weekender/Vacationer, with their double rubs, you make clutter up the sheer with an addition one further above, hence I'd remove one of them (the lower).

Now, both of these examples are flush decked boats, but the sheer could have stopped and dropped down to it's standard (lower) location. The same rule applies, if the raised portion is in the forward half of the boat.

Also note that the upper sheer on my designs tapers down toward the lower sheer as it gets closer to the bow. This is a common element on all raised deck or broken sheer boats. If this isn't done, it's looks wrong some how.

If I was doing what you're contemplating, I'd redraw the profile of the boat and move the belly around to suit the new raised potion, rather then rely on the original sheer. This is because a single sheer boat (conventional) has more "spring" to it. A broken sheer is generally flatter, which is another reason why it's difficult to convert a standard sheer to a raised one and have it look right.

Sam Crocker (as has been pointed out) was about the best at developing broken sheer lines that were pleasing to the eye. My personal preferences differ in how he handled the transition area, with Crocker using a gradual sweep up and my preference for a tighter curve, but this is a minor styling consideration.
Nice looking boats Paul.

ian clark

Paul, they are both truly beautifull.
What I am dealing with though is, first off a "proven design" so I don't want to modify it too much, but when you extend the straight line of the centre of the deck in profile, from the nominal head room aft, forward to the bow I think you could forget the sails and just use the hull as its own sail :lol: I guess it is just too small a boat to be thinking of a full raised deck.
Thank you for your very knowledgeable advice.
Ian.
Welcome Ian, I've been out sailing and haven't had a chance to post. It's great to see another builder here and I if there's anyway we can help please let us know

Keith
Paul,

You have teased us with some very pretty designs over the years. Is there a Paul Riccelli gallery available on the web?

Seriously, you should also consider your designs as art for art's sake and not as just plans to build a boat. They could easily be printed, matted, and framed as art and offered for sale. Kathy Bray has had some success drawing up old boats and selling them as art. Might make a nice side business. Maybe your "weldor" could handle the details.

just a thought ...
Tom
Pages: 1 2 3