BYYB Forums

Full Version: Damage control party...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I started fixing the old girl on Sunday. The hole in the side has been ground out and two applications of filler applied. The chine log split and the delam above it, and a spot in the center of the sole have been cleaned up and the first application of thick goo applied. I figured I'd do it from the inside out. The new hatch blew off coming up the mountian so that has to be fixed as well. It never ends it seems. She looks a lot worse than she is thank god. I've got some pictures I'll try to post here in a minute.....
Finally some pictures, I wait with bated breth. :lol:
So shes going back together ok Craig? I hope it goes easy and is completely painless.

Brian.

aaron_stokes

bate all you like but don't hold it Big Grin

awsom craig! i sure am glad to hear of your progress. does this mean i will finaly get to see the fabled sarah lee up close and personal? i can't wait.
OK, there are some photos in an Album called Saralee Repair but damned if I can figure out how to link it. These photos show the good side of the boat but will be the most difficult to fix. No bad though just lots of goo. Brian can you link this in and show me how you did it? I will add to this album as I go along. Building is important but repair is just as necessary if you use these boats, and boy does mine get used!! Thanks Bridog.
Yer welcome craig. I just typed out this long explanation and the site locked up and I lost my post :evil: we will have to address that at the meeting.
ok here goes again.
ok first you go to the photo gallery and right click on your picture and copy the address it shows you in the gallery. Then you go to the forum and open up a post window at the top of the post window you will see a box with Img in it click on it and it will show up in your post looking like this [Img] then right click and click paste and your photos address in the gallery will show up next to it, Now dont use spaces in here its like typing a web address, now click on the Img* up in the header of the post window again, this time it will have an asterisk next to it. It should look somthing like this when your done...
[Img]yourphotointhegallery'saddress[/Img].
I hope you can understand this mess I just wrote :oops:
Ok now I will post yur photos...
[Image: Dmg7A5.jpg]
[Image: Dmg8A5.jpg]
[Image: Dmg2A5.jpg]
[Image: Dmg1A5.jpg]
[Image: Dmg4A5.jpg]
[Image: Dmg3A5.jpg]
[Image: normal_Dmg5A5.jpg]
ok here ya go Craig I hope that I could help. (*ouch*) that hurts.
She dont look too bad from the photos Craig (thank god) but man your heart must have broken when you saw that. it makes me wonder if at this poit while everythings still open on my boat if I should add some more pannel strengtheners.
I have to go to work now first time in two days I had this thing called gout in my ankle and had to get around on crutches for two days unreal :roll: :lol:

Brian / Bridog
P.S. You know, thats the first time since I was a young man that anyone has used that nick name. The captain on the boat I worked on used to call me that.

aaron_stokes

i apologise for the snide remark. :wink: thanks for the pictures. that boat must have really taken a beating. Confusedhock:

i don't intend to do any reinforsing. i see people reinforsing various kinds of equipment in my line of work and it only leads to other things getting damaged. i think i would rather have a hole or two like craigs instead of an entire reinforced pannel tearing away from something else. i don't know if this makes sence but my theory is that a chain is only as strong as its weekest link and once you streingthen the weekest link, where is the next one going to be. sometimes the next one is a bigger headache to fix thand the first one or two.

Brian_Watford

Looks like she took quite a pounding. It will be nice to see her fixed up again.
Aaron makes a good point here. The design is intended to flex to a degree to disapate stress without fracture. Doubling only part of the hull will upset this balance. One should do it all or not at all. I would recommend not at all. The circumstances of the damage to the Saralee is kind of a once in a lifetime sort of thing that can't be predicted. I suggest building to print and keeping them off the rocks. Arn't you all glad I'm here to do your destructive life testing???? 8)
:lol: yes I am thankfull we have you with us Craig you have put the Vacationer to the test for sure :lol: Thank You! :lol:
Aaron if that was snide then I'm just plain dimwitted :lol: I didn't get it :lol:
But you do make a good point. I think you are 100 percent right. So in other words don't fix it if it aint broke.
So hows your Vacationer coming Aaron? mine is slow, life keeps geting in the way (flue ,death, and gout)And of course the biggest nuisence to me 10 hour work days. but the weather is better and the sun is out longer so things may be looking up I will have to take some photos of this mess, I call a boat? :lol:

Brian.
P.S. Craig did you say that is the good side? You mean there is more Damage to the other side? crap. I am putting a link to your personal gallery here as well http://byyb.org/cpg143/index.php?cat=10009
To do that, all you have to do is go to the web address at what ever page you want to post, and right click on the address in the web bar up top and highlight it and copy it. Then come here open a post and click on the url up at the top of the post page then right click paste your address next to the [url] and click on url* again so it looks like this
http://your website
Hi Craig, it is good to see that you didn't scrap her like you had initially planned: Adla and I would have had to take you out in the desert and bury you! let me know what help you need and when you need it, i can bring a bunch of sanders if Sanders has not walked away with the RO125, speaking of Baracle Jim i have not heard from him in a while, Hrm. Jim, can i have my sander back Smile

give me the dimensions for the hatch and i can make one up at work for you as well as size any lumber you need.
Pages: 1 2 3 4