BYYB Forums

Full Version: Moisture
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wouldn’t call this a shop tip “per se”, as I have not tried it out. But I have heard allot of folks complain about moisture getting into enclosed arias. I was thinking, what if you took silica gel, and put it into cloth bags and stowed it in all those hard to get to arias of the boat if it would help?

Brian.

aaron_stokes

that, my friend, is a compelling idea. there are multi million dollar companys out there that are currently doing that same thing for our infants butts.(diapers) Big Grin and how about the material we wear when we go snow boarding (if i could afford tickets). the cloth material wicks the moisture away from the body where it can evaporate and keeps you dry.
i wonder if the stuff you mentioned is the same stuff my wife inserted into some scarfs that she made for us go go hiking with. it expands when wet but sure keeps you dry.

i think i am going to do some experimentation with a scarf or two covering a hunk of wet plywood in the bottom of a bucket.
Just make sure you follow the instructions on the little bag: "DO NOT EAT. This is how my first wife died.
Those little desicant bags often contain potato flakes.  Wet and dry cycles promote the growth of all kind of nasty bugs therein.  Hum, did she linger???? 8) 8) 8)
probably not a great thing to use in enclosed areas, that stuff soaks up the water and stays wet for a long time. It also wears out  and needs replacing now and then. I use it all the time in museum cases but it can be replaced when needed. It does work good inside the cabin to keep mildew down, put in in a tray and close the cabin up, the humidity will drop a lot with a few pounds of desiccant. We get drums of it but be careful not to spill it on the floor, you will bust you a-- when its underfoot.

Keith