BYYB Forums

Full Version: Man Overboard! builder needs lifeline
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

James Sanders

Ahoy,

Here is a copy of a letter a builder sent.
Can someone on the board lend him some help?
Apparently, he lives near Keith Mclean.

Quote:I am building a 15ft marshcat by Joel White. The plan calls for pinacles and grudeons by someone named A Dauphine & sons. The wooden boat school was not able to help me. I have built three other boats but this is my first sailboat. I am actually a furniture builder and having a hard time understanding where all this hardware goes on mast and boom for a gaff rig. Can you help?

Richard Graham--Alpharetta Ga. 35 miles north of Alanta Ga. email add rsporter@bellsouth.net---Thanks Richard
I would think he's looking for pintles & gudeons, this I found on the Duckwork site

[Image: RL390-G.jpg]

Hope this helps.

Greg
He is closer to Scott; however, we'd be glad to help. Have him post away with the questions and Welcome Aboard.
Hey folks, I emailed him mostly because I would love to have another building of a catboat in my area. Here is what I sent in terms of traditional rudder hardware appropriate for his boat:

Quote:I looked at both Jamestown Distributors and the Woodenboat store for what you were looking for. Jamestown Distributors had a nice set of brass pintles and gudeons ( http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/use...&page=GRID ). Pintles are the pin-like rudder mounted bit that fits down into the hull mounted gudeons. Pintles and Gudgeons have pretty much become standard on most boats. I buy stainless ones from www.duckworksmagazine.com partly because they are a good price and to support that great online magazine for boatbuilders. Now, another traditional method of mounting can be found from woodenboat at: http://www.woodenboatstore.com/prodinfo....=606%2D001. This brass mounting hardware is used on the nutshell and shellback plans and I am very intruiged by the design. Might buy some myself.
"Glad to hear you are building a cat boat. Please feel free to join us on the board with any questions, sharing your experience, or just general yakking. The Pocket Cruisers our members build are really cat boats with short bow sprits so may of the principles of building and sailing are similar. We are a Stevenson's boat centered group however when the SE Fleet has events that I go to I invite the whole world, Stevenson builders or not. It is about the fun not the brand. As you may have seen on the board I am working on a new design Friendship Sloop but I have no intention of leaving the bunch when I finally part company with my Stevenson boat. I would very much like you to join us on the board and share your building experience with the members. We all like pictures of others progress and the sharing of modifications to improve the utility of the boats. With summer coming there will be sailing events within driving distance of your home and I encourage you to come and join us. I will be in Az until late next fall; however, if you get that boat done you can stand in for me until I get back. If you are a boat camper there is the BEER cruise in P-Cola in early June. That is always a fun time and yes, folks camp in their open boats with boom tents and such. Anyway Richard, this is a great bunch of folks and we look forward to you joining us. Oh ya, we will all offer more advise then you can stand. Just ask a question. The range of experience here runs from NAs, professional boat builders, engineers, construction workers, mechanics, and IT people to those who have never even been on a sailboat. We've made all the mistakes so don't worry about any of that. If it can be hosed at lease one of us has done it and some of us (who will remain unknown) have done the same things more than once. Welcome aboard!!! I am looking forward to seeing your posts.....

V/r

Craig"
I concur with all that Craig has said, with a Hearty Welcome Aboard Richard. If I can be of any help to you at all just give me a holler. I'm about three or four hours away from where you live
Scott thank You for the Resources, I may have to buy some at Duckworks m'self.
Brian.
Umm, I am assuming from James Sanders post that he isn't checking this thread. So, if you want to send him your sentiments you should probably email him. There was a lot more in my email regarding boatbuilding, BYYB, and such than I posted under this thread btw... :wink:
Well then I concur with you too then, and I need to e-mail him as well.
I like the brass pintles & gudeons I may get them for my boat do you think they would be allright as I will have an aluminum foot on the keel(it was free and in my posession so thats what I will be using as a foot) but do you think I will have a reaction with brass and aluminum Scott?
Brian.