BYYB Forums

Full Version: overall Mast height
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok - so the other thing I am planning is a new birdsmouth mast (i keep talking about it - I will eventually get to it) The question that I have is in regard to overall height. I moved everthing up 5 or 6 inches on my mast but still think the boom too low and the pulleys and stuff not spread out enough for my comfort at the top. What if I made the mast a whole 2 or 3 feet longer than the plans call for - move the boom up and spread out the stuff at the top - maybe fly the fleet flag up there. If it is a hollow spar the weight should still be lighter than the 4x4 beast of a mast that i am using --- anyone have any thoughts.

a.
As I recall my mast tip is 19' above the deck. 15" of mast and then the compression post/tabernacle with a 12" overlap. It's just a bit too high but with a bimini......
Adla
Lengthening the mast isn't a big issue in and of itself. Nor is raising the attachment points for the forestay or stays. I also wouldn't worry too much about raising the height of your mainsail by 6-9 inches other than the challenges with tabernacle, boom, mast hoops clearance issues. If it will still clear anh overhead obstacles when on the trailer you should be OK. Just remember the angles change on the jib when you raise the top attachment point on the forestay. Also you might consider a Phil Gowen type spreader to attach the stays rather than raising their attachment points.

My mast is well over 16' with the tabernacle.

The only issues you may need to address are related to raising the COE very much. The boat is stable, underpowered for the most part and as long as you have a good feel for when to reef down your main and how to scandlize the peak in an emergency, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. I wouldn't get carried away with the plan until you get some more hours on Morgaine under varying conditions. You may find that things work themselves out as you get used to dealing with the rigging that is new to you.

Just plan on well fitting plugs inside the hollow sections of the birdsmouth assembly where you will be drilling thru the mast. You need a good solid point to keep things from getting crushed or misformed thru stress of the forestay and working loads. Install a solid section at the top of light wood like spruce and you will be fine. In fact if you can locate some nice Sitka Spruce to make up your mast you should be well ahead of the game.
Adla: You might think about using a mast ring at the heigth of your forestay and stays where they are now and you wan't change the angle of the jub, also no holes in the mast to stress it part way down just make the mast taller. Your gaff jaws still should not be up to your stays and the biggest part of your pressure will still be below your stays. No need to raise your tabernacle leave it where it is now, just make the mast longer this will reise your boom so it will not be hitting you in the head,another idea is to quit wearing hi heels while sailing. Bud. :wink:
Mast band with tangs would be a good idea and eliminate the need to drill thru the staves of the mast. They are available from Glen-L and Tendercraft in 2, 2 1/2 and 3 inch diameters. Two tang or 4 tang styles. They are bronze and undrilled so you can adapt them to your specific needs.

I've also seen a couple birdsmouth masts that used galvanized fence bands instead. They worked out just fine.

They commonly use small faired in blocks to support them below the bands.
Since you are a welder, why not simply make you a spreader. I took two pieces of flat bar and welded them into a T, attached that to the top of the mast and the stays to holes in each side of the cross bar. It spread things out so the jaws would not bind on the stays.