BYYB Forums

Full Version: Docking Cleats
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
One thing that I've found missing in the Weekender plans is any sort of instruction on where to place cleats for running rigging and for docking and spring lines.

For mooring the boat to a dock fore and aft what I'm thinking of doing is using the large eye-bolt that I already have in the bow for that line, and adding another welded eye-bolt to the stern at the top of the transom sticking aft. I could then clip another line to this for tieing off the stern. As part of the planning for this, I have made the "stringer" for the deck/transom joint two laminated 2X4s so that I have a very meaty connection for the eye-bolt.

Is this a good place to put this line?
Hi Andrew, I have found the mooring to a dock is problematic because of the wide beam in the middle of the hull. I find that i will loosly tie off the bow and set my fenders at the stern and amidships. The starn and chain plated are tied tighter to the dock to keep things from banging around. This nose out attitude aids relaunching as well because you can remove all but the stern line, cast off or raise sail, slip the line and away you go. Add a couple of cleats amidships for tie off and fenders. I also have two just aft of the stern coaming.
Dandy - I wanted to be sure that I had sufficient blocking under the deck so that the cleats were into something solid. It's easier to do before the boat's closed in, but harder to visualize.