BYYB Forums

Full Version: Newbie Introduction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Brian R Walters

Hello all,
I just registered on the board but I've been aware of it for a while now. It seems to be an oddity in that I haven't run across a lot of bickering inherent in so many other boards. Just people who like to build and sail. Good on ya !!
I live on the Sunshine Coast in BC, a 40 minute ferry trip from Vancouver BC (beautiful city but waaaayy too many people - 10 years was enough !!). I've been a boat builder professionally for about 6 or 7 years, but those are built for other people so they don't count !!
I really like what people have done with these boats and I'm looking forward to starting my own soon. Hopefully I can count on all of you for answers to my dumb-ass questions...
You MUst BE CrAZy!! hOW exciting !!! Welcome aboard - friendly folks here! Sounds like you know what you are doing and can offer a great deal of insight....

Whatcha ganna build? The weekender or the vacationer? Tell us everything!

a.
Hi Brian. I live in Maple Ridge, BC. A 40 minute drive from Vancouver. As far as this board goes, I have read lots, posted little. (Once, I think) I am building a Weekender and am just putting the bottom together. I'm sure the questions will start pretty soon for me. So far so good though.
Steven Goodman.
Welcome Brian, there have been alot of folks making many modifications to the Vacationer design. I don't know how many truely stock ones are out there.

I installed a binnacle steering system on mine. Still working out the bugs on that one. I made my tabernacle taller (60 inches) and the boom is quite high, I like the head clearance. My cabin roof is 2 inches higher than plans, I should have made it higher. I'm contemplating cutting the roof and raising it some more, maybe 6-8 inches, (if I can get the nerve to pull out my sawsall and DO IT). With my raised boom, that increased roof height shouldn't be a problem. I made the cockpit coaming a bit higher all around, keeps the water out, and looks better to me.

There are no dumb assed questions, I did make a few dumb assed mistake along the construction path though :lol: Cry . Nothing that couldn't be fixed. We'll try to offer our opinions and thoughts along the way. Welcome aboard!!!
Hey Greg, mistakes are part of the experience. I made my share but I learned from them. Just enjoy the building experience. I've really missed working on the boat this winter and I'm looking for another project. It won't be another boat however; one is enough. After my band gets into the summer season and if we find a permanent home I might build a chuckwagon, 3/4 size. Oh well, time will tell. Keep us posted on your build Brian.