BYYB Forums

Full Version: New Weekender Building Blog
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have started a building blog so those that are interested can follow our progress over the next 3-4 months. Things will change slowly at first due to the cold temps here, but I hope to show some small new piece weekly. Here is the address:

http://web.mac.com/ryersonclark/Site_3/Welcome.html

Hope you enjoy it and comments are always welcome.
I checked out your blog. Nice. You say you have built several boats. I have to ask. What becomes of boats when the builders move on to new projects? Not boats you build for others, but boats you build for yourselves.

I ask because as I build my first boat, the Triad design by Stevenson, I find myself looking longingly at other boat designs and plans. I am sure this is some kind of addiction that can be treated with enough procrastination but perhaps not?

My original boat building plans were to try building a smaller, very stable boat that I could sit comfortably in, sipping coffee, while I taught my daughter to sail. After that I intended to build a 22-24 foot, ocean cruising capable, but still able to be trailered boat.

Then I got a few looks at a couple of Paul Riccelli's designs as well as some other online designers and find myself thinking I need at least a 17 footish something in between the two boats I originally planned. Oh and maybe a smaller dingy/tender type just for fun.

Well you get the idea. So back to the first question and maybe a second question, like... where does it stop?
Well Terry, there isn't a Betty Ford Clinic for us poor souls, so all I can say from experience, it doesn't stop! We still own, let me see... seven boats, only two kayaks here with me now (the rest in storage in Nova Scotia). All the racers we built have been sold as we progressed to the next and a few of the kayaks as well.

Stop dreaming and building, who would want to? Smile
Ideally you find a good home for your children, when they're old enough to permit separation from their parents. Of course you'll probably have visitation rights and when they get sick, you'll get a phone call about what "your boat" is doing.

Most folks end with a few taking up yard space. I have three here, two of my build and an old Chris Craft. I also have two at my old shop. Want to buy a boat?
Your blog is looking good. I believe I know Tully Mars, a nice fellow with a great horse. Glad to see your beginning to work on the Weekender. The wheel is another good winter project as are the spars. I look forward to seeing your progress

Keith
Thanks Keith. I am going with a tiller so that is also good for winter. I already have the spars and gear/sail from Tully Mars, and yes, he has a horse, "Mister Twain" Smile